Chapter 8

Anastasia's POV

I can hear a snowstorm outside, the howling wind sounds like an omen to me and I hope everyone in town is somewhere warm, or else they'd die out in that weather.

An hour or so pacing the wardrobe's small length, I undress and put on a white shift. It's loose, no showing off my curves or anything like that. My makeup is still on but I'm going to wash it off once I creep across the bedroom and enter the bathroom.

My Crows went quiet awhile ago, and the lights were out. The only light left was the fire.

When I am brave enough, I walk to the door and I think I see a shadow underneath – but it flickers away.

It's just the way light dances from the hearth.

When I'm brave enough, I place my hand on the door knob and twist, inching the door open as slow as I can.

Without a sound, not even a creak, I lean my head against the wood and peek out into my bedchamber.

I expected?

Well, what could I expect – other than men, sleeping soundly. Or men, perhaps reading in the dark.

What I see sends a chill through me.

The room is very dark. The light of the fire has burned so low, only embers and a small flame licks around the black wood, caving in, sending out a flurry of embers as the last fuel is used.

I feel like I'm staring at grey statues.

I almost forget they're alive.

I almost forget they're men.

Damion stands exactly where he stood before – but he faces me, a dark silhouette – it's extremely unsettling. Axe isn't on the bed but he is by the window coloured by the violent blizzard. He is standing still, hood pulled over his face, his side turned toward me.

Rurx and Krys are pretty much half naked like Damion now, only in their loose trousers, both by the dying fire – and the light of it licks a grey, low amber light across their rippling shoulders.

Rurx' doll like hair is still flowing in perfect curls like it's just been made, pushed off one shoulder.

They have moved to the couch opposite the one they were on earlier. So now they face me – staring at the princess peaking out of the wardrobe.

Four men being totally creepy in the dark.

There is no way I'm going out there.

I slip my hand off the edge of the door, I had been about to open it, now I'm about to close it.

But I need to pee bad, it's not like I can wait any longer.

I just didn't expect them to be silent as stone and watching me – as if they were waiting for nothing else.

Courage.

I need courage.

Be the Jewel princess – she feared nothing.

I shove open the door, heaving in breaths to try and breathe in confidence as I ball my fists and walk into the darkness of the room.

As I march across, no one says a word, no one moves.

My heart flys into my throat, as I make it to the bathroom, but I felt their eyes follow me.

I do my business as quickly as I can, and then spend a while at the sink, washing my face, over and over, worried by how wide and scared my eyes are.