Chapter 23

Anastasia's POV

The pressure was on. I had the skills, fortitude and the backup to face the monsters of the night. I knew, with the help of Damion's keen eye and constant discipline into making me a Crow – to listen to him.

To not fall back on my status as princess or queen.

It also built up more respect between us, them allowing me to join their circle.

And still, I was married to Rurx... and technically – to all of them.

So, for them to have the right to me, and to delay their lusts, just to train me all week – really changed my thinking about my Crows forever.

They saw me as more.

And I trusted them more.

It was a bond, through time, despair and traversing the Eye, combating their demons, even lying with them. I was responsible for the balance of the realm now, and I took it as seriously as my men did.

The way my father and brothers looked to me now, gave me pride... because I could see the pride in them for me.

So, in all regards, I am now primed for tonight to come. To slay monsters and find Priscilla.

So, why am I suddenly terrified?

Scared.

Eager to fight all week. Yet in the lead up to the sun setting, I am anxious and unsure.

After a hearty lunch, I went to my room and napped for two hours, even Damion slept next to me, needing the rest, while Axe napped on the couch, and Rurx and Krystoph spoke with my father in the library to discuss Priscilla's disappearance.

After that much needed nap, I tip toed my way into my bathroom and ran the hot bath, adding bubbles and scents and anxiously brushing through my hair, over and over.

Then I lay in the tub, as the sun sloped down the window pane, one minute after another.

Soon.

Soon the daemons would come.

"Anastasia?" Damion drawls from my right, giving me a shock. I sit up, so lost in my thoughts I didn't hear him walk over to the bathroom entrance. Although, he was bare foot so didn't make a sound anyway. Shirtless, my Crow peeks into the bathroom to see what I'm up to.

I tell him my immediate thought process.

"Damion. My Crow. We didn't even fuck like we were planning! We just napped! Now I'm scared I can't face them again, I'm scared of the monsters – I wasn't scared all week and now –" I blurt this all out with a numb tongue and an anxious blush. Damion halts my speech with a hand up in the air and a warm smile, just for me.

"Princess, you're not on the front line, we are and always will be your defenders," Damion's silent feet pad over to me, and I wearily watch the giant not make a sound, so in control of his whole physique. My eyes roll up from his feet and pants, over his hot, hard torso – all the way up to his deep brown eyes and black hair. Gosh, I wish he had fucked all my anxiety away. I was so wound up! Damion reaches into the bath and just takes my neck in his palm, "You won't have to fight, with me by your side," Damion's voice drops – it's lethal, primed for war and ready to slaughter.

I choke a bit around his clenching hand and I scramble up out of the bath, until I'm grabbing the rim and then standing. He lifted me up so he could see me. Damion releases my neck and takes my wrist instead, while his other hand loosens his britches.

I eye the bulge, that's uncovered when he drops the material and kicks aside his pants.

He tugs me toward him, and I leap out of the bath, slamming into his front with my eagerness.