Chapter 15

Anastasia's POV

The library is the same but the portal is open.

In the middle where the Mother of Wrath stands, is a red light shining down on her from the Eye above. I stand under the light as advised by Rurx, and I end up ascending.

On my way here to the library, I had seen my father and brothers in the throne room being welcomed back. They waved to me like they'd never left, and that was that.

I guess it had only been a few days, so truly, I guess nothing had changed aside from the Cren looking flush with nature and sunlight like a fairy tale.

I think of what I'm leaving, as I look down at the library beneath my floating feet, as I slowly reach the Eye above.

It's open and watery, a portal to the other side.

I feel strange as I pass over to the Eye.

I had borrowed Rurx' robe before doing this part. I wrapped it around me and then off I went.

I end up stepping out of the Eye onto the grey floor of the empty Library. There is no bed, the walls don't bleed – but it's also very empty.

I leave the library's room, and all I see is one steep staircase, leading into darkness.

I hold the robe close as I descend the steps.

It's neither cold or warm, it's removed from reality, feeling more like a daydream than a real place.

At the bottom of the steps is a dungeon, or what looks to be one. Every cell has the iron bars ripped off or thrown aside. But as I walk down, I reach an arch without a door.

Inside the dark and long cell, I see nothing but a stone slab and a corpse.

Or what looks to be a corpse.

Aside from the greys, I see the pale skin of the Dark Prince, as his tumbling brunette hair trails down the stone altar and across the stones beneath my feet.

His chest doesn't move, his eyes are shut, and he is motionless.

Only a cloth placed over his you-know-what covers him.

As I approach the other half of Rurx, my eyes adjust to the darkness and I see more stone altars further along the narrow room, showing more monsters laid out asleep.

Damion is on his side, horns even longer than what I remember in the vision.

His body is huge, his muscles always tense, even while asleep. The two horns are straight weapons, shiny in the nothing-light.

Beyond him I see Krys as a phantom, his skin like smoke, constantly vaporising around him into tendrils all around. As I tip toe by, I can smell the tendrils and they're like a pleasant cologne, an always changing scent from something amber-ish to a dark floral. I enjoy his smell. Last is Axe, his fingers covered in those straight ten-inch claws, not long nails, but actual claws. Like he has monster paws. It's very strange, and he sleeps on his back like Rurx and Krys.

At the end of the room I see a pile of rings and finger bones. A chopping block. An axe. And in the wall behind, I see daemon forms etched into the stone with red ruby eyes, grinning sharp teeth and with shapeless forms.

The familiar forms behind me aren't their true form, but a shared vessel with my Crows.

They had made a bargain and joined.

Mortal and monster. Good souls tainted with evil power.

The gift was magic and strength and immortality.