chapter 9

Mack and Riley ended up going for a walk around the track to find a spot out in the sun to sit for qualifying. They sat down on a grass slope, near a corner that was partially away from the other fan favourite spots on track.

Riley also pulled up the Kayo app up on her phone so she could keep track of where Oscar placed her car. She grinned each time Oscar flew past her on track, noting what kind of line he took in comparison to the others.

She also made sure to keep track of where Broc was in the middle of her explaining to Mack what was going on.

Nothing really major happened in this qualifying session so Riley was glad when it was over and she was even more glad when she saw that Oscar had gotten into the top ten.

"C'mon! We gotta get back." Riley said to Mack standing up and tugging on his hand."

"Alright babe let's go then." Mack chuckled, standing up and begging to walk off.

Riley and Mack walked back most of the way until they got near the pitlane and Riley started running back to the garage.

She narrowly avoided running into a few stray mechanics and even her own car as she rushed into the garage.

Oscar was standing at the telemetry screens, racesuit around his waist and hair messy.

"Oscar!" She grinned throwing herself at him.

He caught her in a hug, almost falling off balance and into George. "Thank you, thank you, thank you, Oscar!" Riley chanted.

"Someone's excited." Oscar said, patting her back awkwardly. "Don't thank me, thank the team."

"You're the one who got me into the shoot out, I can thank you and you're driving skills as much as I want." Riley laughed pulling away from him.

"Yeah you did a really nice job kid." George joined in on the praise.

"And that job is now done so I'm going to go change before I have to talk about data." Oscar nodded and left the garage.

Riley meanwhile got straight into discussing strategies and lap data with George, switching into her weekend work mode.

By the time Oscar got back into the garage they already had a fair plan going to get Riley just that little bit higher into the top ten. Oscar joined in and gave his opinion on what the car felt like.

"Urgh," Riley groaned once they finished the data talk, "that means I have to go excersise and that means skipping, I hate skipping!" George and Mack (who had come over once they finished talking track stuff) laughed at her.

I've already done it today but I can help you with your skipping if you want?" Oscar offered shrugging his shoulders.

"Yeah sure, i just need to change!" Riley grinned, pointing at her jeans, "oh and I'll grab my rope."

Riley went and did what she needed to do, came back into the garage and promptly dragged Oscar outside. She dragged him over to the spot of shade beside the Erebus motorhome. She preferred to work out privately and that was the best she was going to get.

"Right show me what you would normally do." Oscar said, crossing his arms.

"Okay teacher." Riley said winking as she got her rope set up.

"My god." Oscar muttered rubbing a hand over his face." Just start skipping. "

Riley did as said as Oscar studied her technique. She jumped successfully about six times before she messed up and landed on the rope almost falling over.

"Right um," Oscar started once he realised Riley wasn't going to end up flat on her face. "You look at your feet too much when you jump, instead of trusting yourself, I can show you if you want?"