Chapter 14

With the morning came the nightmares to once again drag me screaming from my slumbers. I don't know what caused them to start again after my time on the streets, but ever since I met JJ and got a chance at redemption, they've plagued me every night causing me to wake up screaming or at least in a cold sweat.

Knowing that any further attempts at sleep would be fruitless, I got dressed and headed to the pool before I had to face another day with Miss Armstrong. My time in the gym was occupied by all the things I'd slip out to her yesterday. I'd told her about an eighteen year old me in Iraq, told her about fear and pain and then to cap it all off, she'd learned about me and my ex and another painful part of my life.

One long shower later, I got dressed and prepared for the day. I checked my phone and opened a message from James.

'Freen, don't forget to pack a bag for tonight, you'll need a fancy dress for Rob's party. See you at the Armstrong Industries Offices at around two, don't forget I have a meeting with Rob before the party so we're all leaving early to meet him there. Remind Rebecca.

Oh, and keep smiling, Blondie, today is going to be a good day. ;)'

"I very much doubt that, James," I muttered to myself. "I very much doubt that indeed.'

I wrote a quick reply.

'I have nothing fancy to wear so they'll get what they get. I'll pack a change of clothes and my gym stuff and I'll remind Miss Armstrong, though her PA will probably do that for me if she told her.'

I quickly packed a bag with some of my meagre supply of clothes, making a note to go shopping again at some point, and headed for the bedroom to finish getting ready. I'd barely got dressed and pulled my coat on when I was disturbed by the phone ringing.

"Freen Sarocha, speaking."

"Good morning, Freen."

"Hello, who is this?" I asked wondering who the hell this was, it had been an unknown number and I didn't recognize the voice.

"Freen, it's me, Rebecca"

My brain kicked into gear and I recognized the undertones to the telephone voice she had obviously created herself.

"Good Morning Miss Armstrong, is there anything wrong?"

I heard a slight hesitation in her voice and prepared for the worst, wondering how fast I could get to St John's Wood.

"Uhm, actually there's nothing wrong, Freen. And I thought I asked you to call me Rebecca."

"I thought we sorted this out, Miss Armstrong."

"It's Rebecca! Look, Freen if you're going to be keeping me safe, there's no harm in being friendly, right?"

"Miss Armstrong, I don't think you understand this. I'm your CPO, we shouldn't be on first name basis. I explained this yesterday."

"You're my what?"

"CPO, Close Protection Officer. That's what I am, at least that's what I am until Saturday. Anyway, how can I help you Miss Armstrong? You must have called for a reason."

"Yes, Freen, there's been a change of plans. Darren is on his way to yours but I'm not going into the office this morning."

"Miss Armstrong," I sighed assuming, once again, the worst, "please tell me that you're not in the car with Darren already."

"No! Well, I did think about it," she admitted, "but then I remembered what you told me last night, so no. For your peace of mind, I'm still tucked up at home safe and warm, but Darren will be there pretty soon. Are you ready? I know it's early but I need to get a head start on today as I'm losing the afternoon to this flaming party."