Chapter 27

Just under an hour later, we were back at Armstrong Manor and having lunch at Jenna's insistence after collecting our things and putting them into the car.

"So when will I see you next, Becky?" Jenna asked as we both tucked in.

"Possibly the weekend after next, or the one after that mum, before we fly to the States anyway."

"That's a shame, dear. I think I might have to come down to the office to see you, perhaps spend the weekend with you if that's all right?"

"That'd be great mum. We could go shopping or something. Or I could treat you to the spa."

"Now that does sound like a plan, dear. I'll have a word with Colin and see about booking in at the Savoy or somewhere."

"Discretely Mum."

"Have I ever been anything else dear?"

I think I'm listening to a conversation that I'm perhaps supposed to understand. I assume that this 'Colin' is Jenna's golf pro, the guy she's been seeing, but I don't know that for sure. Being the master of discretion that I am, I kept my mouth shut and concentrated on the vegetable quiche I was eating.

Finally, we finished lunch and I left Becky to say her emotional goodbyes, deciding that this once, I would carry our bags to the car and put them away.

I knew it was an excuse to avoid the emotions, but I didn't really care.

Eventually, she appeared at the doorway and made her way down to the car.

"Thanks for sorting my bags, Freen, I appreciate you doing that."

"Not a problem, Miss Armstrong. I thought you'd appreciate the time alone with your mum."

"I did, thanks. She wants to say goodbye, though."

I looked up at the door and sure enough, Jenna was stood waiting; and I walked the steps like a man on the way up the scaffold to the noose. It's not that I didn't want to say goodbye, it's just I didn't want to be exposed to any more dodgy emotions.

I held my hand out to her, "Jenna, thank you for everything. You've been a wonderful host."

Jenna took my hand, said, "Oh, don't be so bloody formal, dear;" and then dragged me into a hug. "Look after yourself and Becky, Freen. If you need anything, let me know."

As she released me, she placed a piece of paper into my hand, "I've spoken to Joanna and she's expecting you at six tonight. Becky will make sure you go as well, so don't even think of trying to duck out of this."

I looked at the piece of paper and unfolded it to reveal a name, an address and a phone number.

'Joanna Foster

Counsellor and Family Therapist'

'Fuck.'

---

Six o'clock rolled around far too quickly and I found myself parked up outside the address Jenna had given me, wondering if I had the courage to do what I knew I needed to do. I stared down at the piece of paper in my hand reading and re-reading the name before I was jolted out of my thoughts by the ringing of my phone.

"Secure365, Freen Sarocha speaking."

"Freenky, it's me. What are you doing?"

"I'm speaking to you, Becky, obviously."