Chapter 67

"By the left....quick, MARCH! Left...Right...Left...Right. Come on ladies you can do better than that, put some effort in or I will have you marching squares day and fucking night until your feet bleed."

The voice of my old Sergeant during basic training echoed through my head as I quick marched away from the house. I didn't have a clue where I was going, twisting and turning through the streets of the estate, doing my best to avoid any pursuit that may come.

The evening sun was still warm on my face as I marched along, but I knew it would be setting soon and I needed to find myself somewhere to stay. Not for the first time on this trip was I glad of the money that I had in my bank account, knowing that it would see me clear until I sorted something out.

I was unemployed again; with nowhere to go and no-one to turn to...fuck my life.

After about ten minutes of walking, I slowed my pace, convinced that I was now safe. I'd found my way to a main road and was following signs towards the nearest town, hoping there'd be a station, or a bus or something I could use to get back into London. I didn't know what I would do with myself when I got there, but working for Secure365 had given me an idea, there's always a need for security contractors in the old war zones, and there are always companies looking for people that needed the cash and weren't bothered about the danger.

First though, I had to get where the work was and that meant getting back into London, and then I'd just have to see what happened.

The sun was setting when I finally made it to what passed for a railway station in this part of the world, little more than a concrete platform with a glass shelter that stank of spilt beer and urine. Fortunately the skies were clear and the evening was still warm so I opted to sit on one of the exposed benches and wait for the next train.

I heard footsteps coming down the steps from the ticket house, saw a lone figure in a hoodie walk over to a nearby bench and sit down; far enough away that I had no reason to be concerned about his presence. I was slightly more annoyed when I heard the click of a lighter and smelt the acrid aroma of cheap cigar smoke drifting down the platform.

"You can't smoke here," I shouted down to the figure, thinking that at the very worst a fist fight might be a good way to sort out my mood.

"Well you and I both know that's a stupid rule, Blondie," a familiar drawl replied causing me to look again at the hooded figure.

"What the fuck are you doing here, James?" I said getting to my feet as he tossed his cigar onto the tracks and pulled the hood off his head.

"Came to see if you were ok, my friend," he said with a grin, "you did leave my place in a bit of a hurry after all."

"I'm fine," I said, "or at least I will be when this fucking train comes and I can get into town."

"Be waiting a long time then, kid," he said getting up and walking towards me, "it's Sunday and there's no trains into London until the morning; did you not read the notice up there? There's works on the line."

"Looks like I'll need to find somewhere to stay here then," I said throwing my bag over my shoulder once more, walking past him and heading for the steps.

"Freen," James called after me, "its ok, you know, it's just me here; you don't have to head for the hills again."

"Not about heading for the hills, James," I said turning back to face him, "I'm heading for a hotel. All I want to do is find somewhere to stay so I don't end up sleeping under a bench again."

"You have somewhere to stay, kiddo, all you've got to do is climb into your car and let me drive you back to mine."

"I don't think that's a good idea," I said shaking off the hand that he placed on my shoulder.