Chapter 74

Z-Hour – 3 Days

We arrived at our tiny hotel on the outskirts of Northern town of Srinagar just as the weather started to break, clouds rolling in from off the surrounding hills that brought with them a rain that soaked everything it touched instantly and left the unforgettable smell of wet soil in the air.

"Perfectly normal," our liaison from the Indian Army said as he held up an umbrella to protect Jenna from the downpour. "We get these small weather problems every now and again."

"It's fine, Major Toor," Jenna replied nodding when she was safely under the canopy of the entrance, waiting for the rest of the team to disembark. "It's actually quite lovely, a nice break from the heat down South."

"We were sorry to hear about your daughter, Mrs Armstrong," the officer said, "let me assure you that we are doing everything we can to ensure her safe return, and a full enquiry is underway to investigate how such an incident occurred in our country."

"Thank you, Major," Jenna replied maintaining her polite formality, her shield against the world.

"Any efforts you make are very much appreciated I assure you. May I introduce the team that have agreed to assist you with the demonstration of our equipment tomorrow?"

The Major nodded and Jenna introduced us all, going from one to another telling him who we were and what we were going to be doing; implanting our cover story on anyone that might be listening. After the perfunctory nods and handshakes, we were escorted inside and shown to the rooms that had been prepared for us so we could get changed and ready for our ride to the demonstration site. We had that cover to keep up, and though I suspected that someone, somewhere in the Indian Army knew what we were up to, no-one was going to let anything out of the bag.

"Blondie," James' voice followed a banging on my door, "you ready? Time's a ticking."

"Coming," I shouted, zipping up my jacket and stuffing my phone into my pocket, "keep your hair on, James."

I found him leaning against the wall opposite to my door, with a wry smile on his face; Andy and Simon flanking him mimicking his pose.

"Ready, Mrs A?" I said as the door opened revealing my travel worn charge.

"As I'll ever be, Freen dear," she said shaking her head, "this is one ride I'm not looking forward to."

"Better than flying," I said with a smile, "give me the back of a four wheeled transport any day."

Half an hour later, I wasn't so sure; the truck we were being transported in being functional, but not a patch on the four-,wheel drive vehicles I'd been used to during my time in the army. Despite the discomfort that the wooden bench seats were causing everyone I was pleased that the army were looking after us. There were two more trucks, both filled with troops, in our little convoy; nothing being taken to chance this time. It allowed me the time to relax a little; ever since the flight over I'd been right on the edge, and it was good to close my eyes and know that we were in no danger.

"Too early for shut eye, Snowy," James said, shaking my shoulder and waking me up from the light doze I'd drifted into, my old habits resurfacing again. "Come on you, we're here."

We were indeed at the testing grounds where India's XV Corps were, in part, being mobilized to test new technology and old. All around us was the sound of mobilized troops; and the sounds of vehicles as they shipped them from place to place. It was a familiar sound, and it made me feel almost relaxed to hear it; it was just like old times, times I understood.

"Sounds good doesn't it, kid?" James' asked as a couple of helicopters flew overhead, the sound of the rotors briefly drowning out the sound of the staging area.