Chapter 44

"So, blondie... are you ready to get your ass handed to you this afternoon?" James asked with a grin on his face as we sat for breakfast.

"As I'll ever be boss," I replied coolly, "I could have done with six months more practice I have to say. I'm pretty rusty."

"You'll be fine," Becky said emphatically, "more than fine... don't forget you have your secret weapons."

"Secret weapons indeed," James said laughing, "that c-mag of yours is gonna jam harder than a stubborn mule and your day will be done, Blondie. Armstrong Industries has sold you a lemon there!"

"You know nothing, James Porter, less than nothing in fact..." Becky said indignantly, and theydescended into a discussion of the pros and cons of the weapons solution she had supplied. Ishook my head as she began rattling off technical specifications, totally oblivious to the rest ofthe world. For someone who doesn't like guns, she knows one hell of a lot about them, but then I guess that goes with the job.

The rest of breakfast was actually fun, James toned down his posturing, Becky eased up on her teasing and stopped trying to get me to be something I'm not. With all that pressure gone, I could sit back and enjoy the meal, knowing it would probably be the last thing I ate until this evening. 

I've never really been the nervous type, certainly not with something like this competition but this was different. This felt as strange as my first day at work, my first time at Armstrong Manor. I guess I spent so much time convalescing my brain has decided to betray me and make me nervous enough to know I wouldn't want to eat until it was over and done with.

I had the opportunity, as I ate, to listen to the conversations around me; the easy going banter and the pleasant exchanges between Becky and James. It was all too easy for them it seemed, the social interactions like this; it was a far cry from the mealtimes I'd had in the army which ranged from absolute silence of a team in mourning, to the raucous denouncement ofthe pervious evenings debauchery.

I felt like a stranger in their ranks once more, like I didn't really fit. It didn't even help that they had welcomed me into their world. I still felt like someone would be showing me the door at some not to distant point, finally realizing that I wasn't one of them, not part of the clique.

-----

There was a shock waiting for us as I escorted Becky across the conference hall to the Armstrong Industries stand, three figures were stood talking to one another as we walked up.

"Becky, dear, there you are," Jenna called out, holding out her arms to her daughter for a warm hug. "and Freen, dear, so nice to see you, too."

"Mrs Armstrong," I said formally, keeping up my CPO role despite the stand being pretty much clear, "Mr Armstrong, nice to see you both."

"Freen," Rob said nodding his welcome.

"What are you guys doing here, I thought you weren't coming?" Becky said, stepping back and staring at them.

"Well, I couldn't miss the big showdown," Rob said, those whiter than white teeth on full display. "Besides, I wanted to see you and Richie. Well, I'd love to hang around and chat, but Richie here has arranged for me to meet with a rather important African General; looks like a promising partnership if we play our cards right, eh Richie?"

"Absolutely dad, General Kazir is quite keen to do business with us; for a little accommodation or two if you know what I mean." Richie made a great play of winking 'conspiratorially' at Rob, who beamed proudly.

"Well, I'll leave that up to you, son. Let's go land ourselves a fat one, eh? See you later everyone, good luck for that competition, Freen."

I nodded as he walked away, one eye on Becky as she glared at Richie's back with hurt and tears in those expressive eyes, another deal she had worked hard for stolen from under her eyes.