Chapter 58

I looked around her tiny sitting room and saw James and Bonnie talking quietly with Jenna in the corner. I hadn't talked with her not since a very brief chat at the hospital. She was holding up pretty well, considering the circumstances;  showing her inner strength.

"How's Becky?" Jenna asked spotting me finally, causing all the rest of the eyes in the room to look at me.

"She's fast asleep.. finally," I said leaning tiredly against the door, all of the living room seats more than taken.

"Why aren't you with her?" Richie asked, glaring across at me and stirring stretching out his legs and shuffling around on the sofa.

"Needed the bathroom and I wanted to check up on a few things so I can actually relax," I told him gently, not wanting to provoke another fight. "She'll be ok Richie, I'm not going to leave her for very long."

"Right, see that you don't," he replied, this time without even a hint of aggression.  Smiling, I walked over to the corner where the others were sat and squatted down next to them."How are you holding up, Jenna?" I asked staring into her tired looking eyes.

"I'm fine, Freen, just tired. There seems to be so much to sort out, even with all the help we're getting."

"I know, it seems endless doesn't it?" I said shaking my head, "I felt the same way when my mum died, it seemed like there were a million hoops to jump through; is there anything I can do?" I added, getting a soft, almost affectionate look from her, before she shook her head and smiled.

"No, dear, nothing more than you already are; protecting my family and looking after my daughter. That's the most important thing to me right now, as long as you can do that, then you'll more than help me, it's one less thing for me to worry about if you know what I mean."

I nodded my understanding, patting her on the knee awkwardly; there was nothing else that needed saying about that. I turned to James and inclined my head, gesturing at the kitchen.

"Excuse me a second please, Jenna," I said standing. "I need a word with James about the security for the flat."

"Don't worry too much, Freen," she said shaking her head. "We've all agreed that we'll be going home tomorrow morning. Robert left a notice with his solicitor asking to be buried in our local church and I intend to honor that wish. Plus there are people who will want to pay their respects and that's better done at home, not in some cold building."

She looked across at Richie and smiled sadly, "we may have had our differences, Robert and I, but he's still my husband and he deserves better than that."

Her voice settled with some force, as if she was waiting for someone in the room to challenge her, to call her out on her thoughts about what Rob deserved. If anyone there thought it, no-one was voicing those thoughts; and I suppose rightly so.

"Jenna has arranged for the family to fly back to the house, Freen," James said, "I know that won't exactly make you happy but..."

"I'll be fine boss, don't worry," I said quickly, trying to make little of my little phobia. 

"JJ is already on his way and I'll be following you all on Monday."

"Monday?" I asked looking across at him puzzled.

"The funeral will be on Wednesday, Freen," Jenna said sniffing lightly. I've already arranged everything. James, Bonnie, some employees and partners will be arriving on Monday as our guests..."

"...and to work out the security for the event," James said, sounding a little embarrassed. "without wanting to seem tasteless Jenna, I do think I need to discuss this with, Freen. If you'll excuse us?"