Chapter 59

"How are you doing?" Becky asked over the headset as I sat staring out of the helicopter's windows over the English countryside.

"Doing fine," I replied, feeling anything but actually. The fear I'd discovered of flying I'd discovered in myself had indeed eased, but I still wasn't comfortable with the whole chopper/airplane travel idea; not very comfortable at all. Still, having my hand held by a pretty redhead certainly made the whole flying experience that bit more enjoyable.

"Really?" she said, and even through the metallic sounding headset I could hear her amused disbelief. I turned away from the window to see her smiling at me, her eyes sympathetic, tinted with a hint of happiness.

"Yeah, I'm fine. "I told her with a reassuring smile, "Not great mind you, but good enough right now."

"Fair enough," she replied squeezing my knuckles, "shouldn't be long now really. Look, you can see London over there."

I looked out into the distance, following her finger towards the dark smudge on the horizon, the familiar buildings popping up as a hint at that famous skyline. 

"What a shame, I've been enjoying our trip so much," I joked getting a playful bump from her as she leaned back across me and into her own seat.

"You can be a sarcastic cow sometimes, you know that?" she said with a grin, "I have no idea why I love you!"

I was more than pleased to hear the playful note in her voice, it had been a shit time for her and, despite her efforts, this was the first time I'd felt that she meant it and I was determined to play along.

"Probably the same reasons that everyone else loves me," I joked trying to relax again; "my charm, personality, devastating wit and firm muscles."

"Well, one out of three isn't bad," she replied, her voice now clear over the headphones, despite the din from the rotors. "I can't complain about the muscles, not sure about the rest though, especially the charm part."

"Your mother thinks I'm charming," I retorted as her hand covered mine and squeezed, her thumb idly stroking leeching away the tension, "your mother thinks I'm pretty awesome actually."

"Well," she said with a snort, "maybe you should start dating my mother then... if she can see all these great things in you."

"Well," I replied feigning thoughtfulness, "she is attractive, and of course very rich. Maybe you're right, Bec, if you're not interested in me anymore, perhaps I should see if Jenna is interested, after all she is a bit of a MILF."

"Ugh, Freen, did you really have to?" she said with a disgusted look and a slap on my hand that was still clenching the armrest. "Jesus, babe, that's just a couple of steps over the line."

"Really?" I said feigning surprise, "I was actually being serious, you know your mother really is an attractive woman?"

"and I guess I'm a wrinkled old prune that's not worthy of your attentions?"

"I never said that, love," I told her, letting go my death grip on the arrest and wrapping my arm around her shoulders, finding the position a lot more comforting. "Besides, you started this remember."

"You're still a cow, Sarocha," she told me, "and I still don't like you" she added, though the way she relaxed into my embrace told me she didn't mean it.

"Yeah well, I like you enough for the both of us," I said, pulling her close and kissing her head, taking care to avoid the headset.

"Guess we're ok then," she said snuggling into me, "for now at least. Wait until mum hears what you called her though, she'll kick your ass."