Chapter 21

One roll of tubigrip, one sling, and one bit of childish complaining about being strapped up with said bandaging materials, and Becky is sat next to me and her mother at a large dining table with what looked like the contents of an entire mess hall on her plate. I know she can eat, I saw her attack the Chinese meal at the office but she certainly seems to like her breakfasts; and having one arm immobilized doesn't seem to be holding her back.

Personally, I don't normally do breakfast, a bowl of cereal, a nice cup of tea or a glass of orange juice normally does me. Here though, despite my requests, I'd been brought a continental breakfast as well as my cereal; and despite my reservations, I'm quite enjoying it. I'm quite enjoying the conversation as well, sat as I am next to Jenna at the end of the table. That was until...

"Rob tells me you're coming to the States next month, Rebecca," James said suddenly. "You and Freen will have to swing by the offices so I can show them off a bit."

"Sounds like a date James," Becky replied, dabbing her mouth with her cloth napkin. "Richie's arranged for us to have a stand at the Expo again. I believe that it's pretty near your offices there."

"Well, now," James drawled, sitting back in his chair with a self satisfied look on his face, "that's just fine, isn't it? We've got a small booth there ourselves, we have done for the last couple of years. Anyway, if you're going to be over for the Expo, I might have to sign Freen here up for the competition."

I looked up at him, brow furrowed in suspicion, "what competition would that be, James?"

"That's a great idea, James," Becky exclaimed, almost dropping her fork in excitement. "Perhaps she might even get to go up against you. That I would like to see."

"Erm, excuse me," I interjected into their private little conversation. "I hate to interrupt this little planning session, but what exactly are you two planning to set me up to do?"

"The expo always runs a shooting competition, Freen," Becky explained, "I heard James is the reigning champion over there."

"Sure is, Rebecca. I was the champion last year, first time of entering, too. Got us quite a bit of business as well pulling that off. Things like that always looks good for a company like mine."

"What's involved?" I asked before I could stop myself. Curse my competitive nature.

"Lots of bits of competitions to do, Blondie, but the premier competition, the one that really matters, is a combined Pistol, Rifle and Combat Alley shoot; best combined score wins the day, and the ten thousand dollar prize fund."

I couldn't help feeling a little bit excited at the thought of it, though I'm far from combat ready. Christ, the last time I picked up a real weapon was the last time I fired one, back at the ambush in Grishk. Still, I had been pretty good in my day and if I could get a few practice runs in, I might not completely embarrass myself. It'd be good to test myself like that again, do something I was actually good at.

"Sounds like a laugh, James," I told him trying to sound casual about it, "been a while since I handled a weapon, though."

"It's like riding a bike, Blondie. When we get you over to the US, I'll take you to my shooting club, they've got everything you need to get some practice in."

"Sounds like a great idea, guys," shouted Rob, obviously anxious to get into the conversation. "Tell you what, whatever weapons you both need, I'll provide them, call it a sponsorship deal from us. Richie will take care of the publicity, won't you, son? Just tell Becky there what you fancy and I'll have it waiting in James' club ready for you.

"In fact, Freen, if you beat James this year, I'll match that prize money and give ten grand to a charity of your choice, how's that for an incentive?"