Chapter 72

⚠️⚠️⚠️ TW: Violence 

------

"...we have to assume that the bastards have gone through with their threats and killed a

hostage."

James' grim words echoed around the suite, Jenna and I staring at him blankly as we registered what he had said, her mind no doubt doing the same as mine; running from disbelief, to denial and back again...over and over again.

"But everyone said that it was all a bluff," Jenna said accusingly, her face stricken tears evident in the corners of her tired looking eyes, "you all said that this wouldn't happen, you said they'd never go through with it!"

"We said we thought it was unlikely Mrs A," James said shaking his head, "all the evidence we had pointed towards that conclusion. Like I say, we don't even know if it is anything to do with the abduction, it could be a simple crime, or a misunderstanding, or both; but we thought we should get together and wait, just in case... and I wanted you both to hear the news from someone personally, not some prick that doesn't care about either of you. Neither of you deserves that."

"I see, thank you, James," Jenna said simply, before closing down and sitting silently, messing with her hands in nervous tension. We all sat down together, lost in our thoughts, jumping only at a knock on the door, a tray full of jugs and china cups appearing with one of the hotel staff when James opened it.

To my surprise, Jenna stood up and took the tray, bustling James out of the way and serving the coffee to everyone; pouring a cup of tea for me with a wink, clearly remembering my dislike of coffee first thing in the morning. She was utterly amazing, not a moment ago she'd looked dead to the world; staring at the floor, the movement of her hands the only thing indicating that she was still alive. 

Now she was bustling about pouring drinks and asking everyone if they would like her to order breakfast; putting on that brave face she wore so well. Within moments we all had steaming cups and she was on the phone to reception again, trying to rustle up some food that probably none of us wanted to eat, clearly just wanting to do something, anything...anything than just sit here numbly, feeling completely helpless; the way I felt right then, staring blankly at the wall hoping I could wake up from the nightmare I was living through.

"You ok, kid?" James said gently, sitting down next to me on the sofa, taking the space Jenna had just vacated.

"What do you think, boss?" I replied, trying, and failing, not to snap at him.

"I think y'all look like you're about to commit an act of violence on that wall there, Blondie," he replied with a hint of the whimsical charm that usually made me smile.

Not today though, not right now anyway.

"I'll commit an act of violence on you in a minute, James," I muttered, still glaring at the wall trying to compose my thoughts.

"Well, if that's what you need, Blondie, you're surely welcome to try," he replied calmly, his voice low enough that only the two of us can hear it. "But could you please avoid the face?"

I blinked at that, and smiled despite myself, James Porter clearly wasn't just a good boss, he was also a damned good leader. I wished I'd known him when I was in the army; he was made of the right stuff. I was fucking glad he would be with me when we went to rescue Becky...if she was still alive that was.

"Chin up, kiddo," James said seeing my face fall at the thought. "If it helps, try to remember that Becky's their prize chip, they're not likely to just throw it away to make a point."