Lesson Learned - VIII

It had been years since Chris had stepped into his home and smelled a home-cooked dinner. While a big part of him was surprised, part of him wasn't. He was almost sure there was nothing Ryleigh couldn't do.

He had spent his time at work grading papers, reviewing departmental lesson plans and reflecting on their conversation they'd had earlier.

In his college days, Chris had been a player until he met his ex-wife. When weeks with her turned into months and months into years, his family wanted to know what was next for them. They had hit year three which was a milestone for him. They wanted to see him cement it as if it validated him in some way.

Marriage obviously seemed like the appropriate next step, so he popped the question and she said yes. Nothing changed much in their relationship. The new marital bliss quickly wore off and they were back complacent as they had been before they tied the knot. His ex-wife, Madilyn, made it no secret that being a homemaker wasn't something she was interested in. Chris never asked her to change when she became his wife, he just wanted more in their relationship. That more was not something she was able to give. He didn't like to push but they still argued, the arguments turned into resentment and then she became insufferable. She felt like their marriage had taken away her freedom, that Chris had robbed her of something but Chris was quick to remind her, his proposal was an option. Her saying no would've hurt but he never held a gun to her head. Chris was craving someone who wanted to be home with him — not someone who was still living out their college-life dreams as a married woman.

This made Chris hesitant with Ryleigh because he's older than her, and already established. He didn't want what happened to him and Madilyn to turn into him and Ryleigh — especially since Ryleigh would be valid where his ex wasn't. She was still young and had a lot to live for, to learn, and to experience. He didn't want to be anybody's cause for resentment ever again. So these thoughts, his failed marriage, was stuck in the back of his mind like an unsightly poster hanging on a wall.

But then, he would think about the time they spent together, how good it felt. How right it felt. Comparing the feelings he had at his happiest points with Madilyn to even the most minuscule time spent with Ryleigh was like comparing candlelight to the sun — there was no comparison at all. Ryleigh superseded anything he could have ever hoped for.

When Chris walked into his home, seeing her there did not feel like the first time. It felt normal, as if they had been doing this for years, but it had only been a matter of days since she'd first stayed.

Not only had she made dinner, but she'd straightened up his place as well. Her Friday had ended early so she'd had time to catch up on some reading and work on a writing assignment. But after another lecture turned berating from her mother, Ryleigh cleaned to calm her racing thoughts.

He hadn't seen the top of his coffee table in weeks. His books had been shelved, paperwork organized and stacked neatly and their takeout from the night before had been trashed.

It smelled like pinewood scented Pledge and a very pleasant smelling candle. The leaves from his front door had been swept outside and his many jackets had been moved from the bench near his entryway to the coat closet.

The curtains in the living room were drawn back, letting in what little light could come through the heavy clouds hanging over Seattle. There had been a vacuum taken to the carpet, a mop to his wooden floors and a feather duster to his furniture. His place wasn't dirty by far, but it was definitely in need of some tlc which Ryleigh was more than happy to provide.

"Hi," Ryleigh looked over her shoulder. It was just after seven in the evening and Chris was so relieved to be home. The headache he'd had from pushing himself through his work was dissipating by the second.