Flight J101 to Paris

"Oh, hey! You finally made it!" Zuri moved her bag from the seat next to her. Her words were completely impulsive and not fully thought out but there was a good reason for it. She was on a flight to Paris from New York and due to her always awful luck, the last person she wanted to see was sitting right behind her.

She'd almost run off the plane, truthfully, but decided that her future in fashion journalism was not going to be put into jeopardy because her ex was seated directly behind her on the same flight — with his new girlfriend.

The stranger gave Zuri a confused look before noticing the phone she was holding up discreetly.

That's my lying ex behind me. 😫

Grayson didn't say anything, he just smiled  and placed his carry-on in the carriage above their seats.

Zuri tucked her phone away and locked it in embarrassment. Now she'd be stuck on a seven hour flight in pure shame.

While other stragglers boarded the plane, Zuri turned towards the window. She was hoping the window seat's occupant wouldn't show up so she could move from the middle seat.

"There was an incident at the gate, I'm sorry I was late." Grayson held out the unopened orange juice in his hand. "You said orange, right? I almost got apple."

"Orange is perfect." Zuri smiled politely. Her eyes showed just how thankful she truly was. He definitely understood the assignment.

Grayson took his seat at the end of the aisle and buckled his seatbelt as the seatbelt lights popped on. He opened his notes app and typed his name to her. Zuri did the same in response.

"Thank you." Zuri whispered quietly. She couldn't wait for takeoff so that she could put her headphones on and catch a quick nap.

"Zuri." She felt warm breath near her ear and when she turned, her ex's face was stuffed between their two seats.

"Brian." Zuri rolled her eyes at him. "Of all flights? Of all seats."

"Good to see you too." Brian almost sounded like he meant it. "Just thought I'd break the ice since I'll be stuck here with you for eight hours."

No need to break anything, unless it's your  leg...or neck. Zuri wanted to say. "No need to break anything, just don't speak to me."

"Still bitter." Brian leaned back in his seat.

"I've moved on. You should too."

"I have." Brian said as if it were obvious.

Zuri did not entertain him with another response so Brian spoke again.

"This is my girlfriend, Keely." Brian's voice gave off an arrogance that Zuri couldn't stand. He was beginning to make her flesh crawl. "Her father got us First Class tickets to theirs for the week."

"Is that the one you cheated on me with or a new one?" Zuri asked and before he could respond, she put her AirPods in her ear, quickly ending their conversation.

Take off was smooth and soon enough they were in the air. Zuri was thankful for the handsome, brown-eyed stranger next to her. Though she'd stooped lower than she'd wanted in her exchange with Brian, having him there helped her save face, even if just a little.

While most occupants were sleeping on their late night flight, Zuri was too busy binging House of the Dragon on her iPad. She was so engrossed in Princess Rhaenyra's monologue that she didn't notice Grayson watching along with her. Feeling his eyes on her, Zuri looked up.

"Subtitles." He acknowledged as a thank you. "House of the Dragon?" Grayson had this look of amusement on his face. "You are watching House of the Dragon?"