Tennessee Whiskey - I

"Another one?" Joe heard a soft voice ask. He was quite confused because he didn't know how long he'd been sitting there, moping. But, apparently it had been long enough for the bartenders to switch shifts. He'd never stayed this late before.

"Yeah, I'll have a—" he started but the beauty drying the glasses gave him a smile before picking up his and finishing his request.

"Whiskey, on the rocks, I know."

Turning around, Kylie quickly made his drink before tending to the only other patron at the bar. For a Wednesday night, of course the place was slow but she couldn't complain. It is, after all, a steady paycheck. Tips didn't hurt anything either.

"There you go," Kylie smiled, showcasing a straight row of beautiful white teeth and dimples to match. "Can I help you with anything else? Wanna change the music?"

"No, no, this is fine, thank you." Joe gave her a smile that didn't quite reach his eyes.

Kylie stood there for a short moment before turning on her heels and walking to the other end of the bar to check on the guest sitting there. When that turned out to be a dead end in searching for something to do, Kylie left the bar and went to put the chairs on top of the tables.

With the exception of her boss, two people eating at a table and the two at the bar, the small, family-owned restaurant was empty for the night. Being that it was approaching twelve AM on a Wednesday night, Kylie wasn't surprised.

Getting bored, she decided to spark up a conversation with the loner sitting in front of her. "Why are you always alone?" She hopped up on the stool behind the bar.

He didn't acknowledge her at first because he wasn't sure she was honestly asking him that. When she followed up her question with a "hello?", he looked up from his glass.

"Me? That's 'cause I don't have anybody to drink with." He answered honestly and watched as her smile dropped a little. "I know, it's pitiful."

"No," she quickly shook her head, "It's not,"

"You don't have to lie." He chuckled, "It really is."

"Honestly, I think it's kind of cool that you have the balls to drink alone. I can't bring myself to do it and I work here." She took a deep breath.

"It's nothing to it really, you just...do it." He watched her fill his glass again.

"You ever get drunk?" She looked at his glass in her hand, holding it away from him while waiting for an answer.

"Have you ever seen me drunk?" Joe looked her right in her eyes. "To be honest, this whiskey is awful, I can tell it's watered down, I just like coming here and sitting while you work. Makes me feel less alone and the music is good."

"Okay, and that's not creepy at all?" Kylie dropped the glass in front of him, not caring if it spilled. She then crossed her arms over her chest. She was completely serious.

"When I say it out loud, I guess so."

"Mmhm." Was all Kylie offered while moving to the other end of the bar. Out of her peripheral vision, she watched him curse himself and shake his head. She almost laughed. Almost.

Kylie didn't see him for a week after that. In fact, the next time she saw him wasn't even at the bar, it was at the grocery store. She'd turned to the freezer aisle for some ice cream and spotted him before he spotted her.

She smiled to herself and watched as he stood there, comparing two types of frozen meals, despite the other fifteen he had in his basket. "Wow," she whispered.

Kylie grabbed her ice cream and pushed her cart on down the aisle. She was just past him and thought he hadn't noticed her until he spoke, "You know, I never got your name."

"It's on my name tag."

He was purposely smooth in his reply, "I'm too busy staring at your gorgeous eyes. I'm Joe."

"Kylie," she shook his outstretched hand. He shook hers back and only stopped when she laughed. Kylie inched her way to the end of the aisle and spoke as she rounded the corner, "You're still creepy, Joe."

Thankfully, two nights later, he walked into the bar in the middle of her shift. "Well look what the cat drug in. You look awful."

"Well thank you, that's a day's hard work in the sun."

"Doing what?" Kylie grabbed and empty glass and set it on the counter.

"Construction. What else did you think this hat his for." He took his hard hat off. Kylie fought the urge to reply smartly, she poured him a drink instead.

After she poured his drink, she disappeared into the kitchen and came back with a medium sized lunch bag.

She sat it in front of Joe and pushed it towards him.

"What's this?" He asked her and she smiled.

"Open it,"

Joe reached his hand into the bag and pulled out a dish. "You made me dinner? Why?"

Automatically feeling defensive, Kylie took the dish and the lunch bag from him.

"I don't know. I guess because I saw you with all those TV dinners at the grocery store. I felt kind of bad. Maybe it was wrong to assume you haven't had a home cooked meal in a while, but it's the thought that counts...right?" Kylie asked him with the most forgiving smile on her face. He could tell she was trying so hard not to offend him. How could she? She is right...and beautiful. Joe thought to himself before taking the dish from her with a playful snatch.

"You're right. I'll have to keep that thought in mind when I'm eating this terrible..." he paused to exam the food in the Pyrex container, "meatloaf?" He knew it was lasagna, he could see that, he just wanted to give her a hard time.

Kylie kissed her teeth, then rolled her eyes at him, "It's lasagna, not meatloaf." She nervously chewed on her bottom lip. Kylie snatched the container out of his grasp and held it up close to her face to inspect it. "Does it really look like meatloaf?"

"No, I was just joking with you. It looks delicious and I thank you." He pointedly leaned across the counter. The proximity of their faces were intimate but still respectful.

"That is so not funny Joe."

"Why are you laughing then?" He asked of her fits of giggles. "You're beautiful Miss. Kylie. Prettier than a sunset on a lake. That's the first time I've told a woman that in over six years."

"Should I feel special Joseph?" She backed away from him and started wiping down the bar. She had a job to do and talking to him wasn't helping her do it at all.

"If you did, would that be in my favor?" He asked her retreating back as she dismissed him and walked into the kitchen. Joe shook his head with a smile and grabbed his keys. "I'll see you tomorrow evening darlin'." He announced without a second thought.

Pausing by the hallway's entrance to the kitchen, Joe pushed open the door and saw her standing at the industrial sink, power spraying dishes. "I'll be sure to try the meatloaf and tell you what I think." He said just loud enough for her to hear.

"Go home Joe!" She yelled in spite of the wide grin on her face. From that alone, Joe was content.

AN: Idk if this came out the way I wanted it to but whatever. 😩

CAST
Kylie - Kylie Bunbury
Joe -Bradley Cooper (with a beard)?

Or whoever you want.