Chapter 76: The Queen's Design

In the Crystal Temple, Lloyd wakes up in a cage over a pool of lava. He attempts to escape by using his powers.

"Don't bother." Layla walks towards him "They're made of Vengestone."

"Whatever it is you're planning, you don't have to go through with it." Lloyd says "Aria's been looking for you ever since you went missing. You've always been a gentle and kind ruler, their's no need to do this."

"Oh, Lloyd." Layla giggles "So trusting, so gullible. I suppose you take more after Misako then your father. She too, was always so trusting."

"I'd rather be able to trust people, then live a life full of uneasiness." Lloyd replies as he holds onto the bars

"You remind me of my son," Layla turns away from him "it's a shame, you'll most likely end up like him too."

"What?" Lloyd asks confused "Your son is at the castle with Aria, your children miss you."

"You don't know much about me Lloyd." Layla sighs before facing him "But I know you, Lloyd. Deep down, I know there's a darkness in you. You fight it, you try to push it away, but it's there."

"I don't know what you're talking about." Lloyd shakes his head

"You're part Oni, like your father and me." Layla tells him "That's the strong part, you've failed to realize that."

"I am nothing like my father." Lloyd responds

The computer beeps. On screen, Kai, Jay, Cole, and Zane are navigating through the subway tunnels.

"It's over, Layla." Lloyd says "They're gonna find your little subway station, and it's only a matter of time before they find this place. I can't say what'll happen to you, but that will be for Aria to decide."

"Unfortunately," Layla clicks a button on the computer. "I planned for everything."

Purple dots appear on the radar, surrounding the yellow dots representing the ninja

"You can't do this! Turn it off. Please!" Lloyd begs "I'll do whatever you want. I — I promise! Just don't hurt them!"

"It's too late," Layla types some words on the computer "I won't stop now."

The computer spoke "Spiders armed."

"Bang" Layla laughs as she presses a button

"No!" Lloyd shouts as the camera in the tunnels explode

"Well, that's that," Layla turns away from the computer "they're gone."

Lloyd falls to his knees "How could you...?"

"Don't get discouraged now dear," Layla walks towards him again "you're still my precious son-in-law, I couldn't hurt you. You can still join us, and stand beside Aria."

"..what?" Lloyd slowly looks up at her

"I forgot.." Layla walks back towards the computer

Layla types some things and the camera switches. Lloyd's eyes widen at the image on screen. The royal palace was in ruins, the guards were all running around the ruble, many injured. They tried to unbury many other guards. The camera then switched to an injured Hanabusa and Kaname holding up the injured prince Zero.

"Aria.." Lloyd mutters before banging on the bars "Where's Aria?!"

"Turn around." Layla says

Lloyd quickly turned to look behind him. On the other side of the room, stood a large pink crystal. In the center was Aria, her eyes closed and her hands together.

"Aria!" Lloyd shouts as a tear went down his face "Aria wake up!"

"She can't hear you from in there." Layla tells him "She's encased in the crystal, until the process is complete. When that happens, our Crystal Princess will awaken. Now, you can resist and perish like your friends.. or, you can join us, and embrace the power of the Crystal King."

"Never!" Lloyd glares at her "I'll resist you with every ounce of my being!"

"That's too bad." Layla sighs "Aria would've been happier with you beside her, even as an evil overlord."

"You're turning her evil against her will!" Lloyd shouts angrily "Your her mother! How could you do that?!"

"I'm simply following the wishes of my king." Layla replies

Enraged, Lloyd's eyes glow purple. He breaks out of the cage and attacks Layla. He unleashes purple energy and knocks Layla down.

"Lloyd" Aria's voice rang in his head

"No. No!" Lloyd shakes his hands and the purple glow vanishes. 

Mister F shoots him and he falls unconscious.

"Welcome back, son of Garmadon." Layla says before looking at her daughter "It's almost time, dearest."