Eight

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

(S1 E4)

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

After their abysmal disappointment earlier that morning, Parker realized that she wouldn't be able to live off of her hundred million, and to be able to feed herself and her brother she would have to try to get another job. 

That was how she ended up at the convenience store in the middle of town, trying to convince the manager to hire her.

"Come on, man! You aren't hiring anyone? There's literally a sign right there that says you need employees." She points towards a flyer hung in the window of the store, but the man shakes his head insistently, exclaiming, "I am not hiring you. I'm not desperate enough to hire thieves." 

Parker rolls her eyes, about to continue pushing when the door rings and the blonde that had been filling her dreams enters the store. The manager turns back to her, giving her his final answer. "No kid of Luke Maybank will ever work here. That's final. Now I have a customer, so get the fuck out." 

Parker frustratedly bangs her hands on the counter before storming out of the shop and sitting on the curb outside. She thinks about what else she may be able to do until the door swings open and out steps Sarah Cameron.

She walks forward without noticing her taller crush, and she practically falls into her lap when she trips over Parker's outstretched legs. 

"Oh shit, I'm so sorry- Parker! Hey. What are you... what are you doing here?" Parker lets out a hollow laugh. "Well, I was trying to get a job, but now everyone thinks I'm a thief." Parker sees the apologetic look on the Cameron girl's face, and she scrambles to fix her statement. "No, no, no, not because of your dad. It's cause of my dad."

Sarah gives her a confused glance, which makes Parker go even further into her explanation. "Yeah, my dad's a grade-A shitbag. No one's gonna hire me because of his rap." Sarah sighs simpethetically and takes a seat next to the taller blonde.

They sit in silence for a while, Parker glancing over at Sarah as often as she can. At some point, Sarah catches her and teasingly asks, "Like what you see?" Without hesitation, Parker replies, "Yep. Gorgeous." This comment makes Sarah blush wildly, which makes Parker let out a chuckle. 

She is about to say another flirty line when she hear a familiar voice in the distance shouting, "Stay in school!" She stands up suddenly, making Sarah fall back slightly in surprise.

Suddenly, John B comes into view on a small bike, pedaling as fast as he can and heading straight for a taunt chain. Parker tries to yell at him to avoid it, but it's too late. He hits the chain and goes flying off of the bike, skidding across the parking lot. 

Parker runs towards her best friend. She kneels down next to him, asking, "Was that Jorge's bike?" John B doesn't seem to hear her as he groans and rolls over on the ground. "Who put the chain there?" He then finally notices her, wincing, "Oh, hey, P."