Twenty-Four

════ ⋆★⋆ ════ 

(S1 E10)

════ ⋆★⋆ ════ 

They don't go too far before they stop at one of the big houses on the dark street. Parker put her hands on her knees, trying to catch her breath. When she looked up again, she noticed that they were still on Figure 8. "We can hide in here."

Parker is ready to continue to blindly trust her girlfriend, but John B has some reservations. "You sure this place is empty?" 

"Yeah, it's Rose's listing." Sarah nods, pointing to a for sale sign in the front yard with a large picture of her stepmother on it. She then runs up to the front door of the house, the other two following close behind. She mutters the combination to the lockbox under her breath before pulling the key out and unlocking the door. 

Suddenly, the trio hears, "Let's check this street. They can't be far." Sarah curses under her breath, ushering her girlfriend and friend inside the house before closing and re-locking the door behind them. They crouch down by the door, making sure that all of them are away from any windows. 

The doorknob rattles right over Parker's head, making her flinch in fear. Sarah can see this out of the corner of her eye, so she quickly grabs her girlfriend's hand and holds onto it tightly. The Maybank girl takes a deep breath, letting Sarah's hand ground her. A flashlight shines through a nearby window, and the trio presses themselves as close to the wall as they can possibly get. 

As soon as the light fades away, they let out a collective breath. The footsteps of the people and their voices get further and further away, letting the Pogues that the coast is clear. "Let's go. Come on. Let's go upstairs." John B urges while pulling Parker to her feet, who in turn, pulls Sarah up. 

They walk up the stairs, wandering towards one of the windows on the second floor. They watch as Rafe walks past with Kelce, searching for them. "I can't believe that's my brother." Parker squeezes her hand comfortingly, and Sarah shoots her a grateful look.

Parker and John B had always seen the darker side of Rafe, but it would be a while before Sarah was able to fully adjust to seeing her brother as something akin to a monster, but maybe not quite fully there yet. 

Parker notices John B wandering into another room, prompting her to grab Sarah's hand and lead her away from the windows. They follow the Routledge boy, and by the time they enter the room John B is on the ground passed out. Parker rolled her eyes affectionately at her best friend, but then she catches sight of something that takes her breath away. The entire ceiling is painted with stars and constellations.