Eleven

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

(S1 E5)

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

Spending the night in a jail cell wasn't new to Parker, but the anxiety she felt while sitting in Sheriff Peterkin's office never went away. She knew that the Sheriff wouldn't be able to bail her out this time, and she would have to deal with her father's wrath. It was only a matter of time.

The door to the office opens, and Sheriff Peterkin walks in. She shakes her head as she comes around the desk, saying, "You're like a little rock in my shoe. I shake my foot, I think I've gotten it out, then dang, there it is again." 

Parker shakes her head, giving the woman a small smile. "Sorry, Sheriff. Old habits die hard." The woman shakes her head again, tired of the Maybank girl's indifference towards her future. 

"That little rock on the back of my heel makes he want to crush it." Parker winces slightly at the harshness in the Sheriff's tone, making the older woman soften up a little bit. "Trespassing on protected habitat. First degree assault. Felony destruction of property. Arson. All in the last two weeks. Jesus, Parker, you said you'd stay out of this shithole."

Parker shrugs her shoulders, acting as if she doesn't care. "If you think I'm gonna rat anybody out, you got the wrong idea." Peterkin gives the blonde girl an exasperated look, wishing that she would just cooperate.

"I know your little teen brain doesn't like to think ahead, but I want you to come with me to uncharted territory," She gestures widely with her hands. "The future. How you gonna feel six months from now, sittin' in juvenile prison in Wadesboro?" 

Parker just sat there and took the heat with no reaction, because she knew that Peterkin just wanted what was best for her. The Sheriff placed two pictures down in front of her.

"You know these two?" Parker glances at them before recognizing them as the men who had shot at the Pogues in the marsh. 

The Sheriff watches her reaction before restating her question. "My question was, do you know these two?" Parker hesitates before answering, not knowing if she might accidentally slip up. 

"They..." Peterkin gives Parker an encouraging look, prompting the blonde girl to continue. "They broke into John B's house, and... then chased us through the marsh. Other than that, I have no idea." 

Peterkin slaps another two photos down next to the ones of the men. These pictures contain the same men, but this time they completely slashed up and mangled. She gags in response, but Peterkin continues on. 

"Somebody gaffed them, then used them for chum. Whatcha think, bull shark?" Parker retches again, and Peterkin slams her hands down on her desk. "Here's the bad news, Park. Whoever killed these two men is still out there, and I got reason to believe their next target is a friend of yours. John B. You kids don't think you're the only ones after the Royal Merchant now, do you?"