Chapter 5: Act 2: (The Banquet)

Chaos... Utter chaos... Is how I can describe what is happening right now... Because the banquet for the arrival of the king was currently being prepared for and though I wasn't in the main palace in right, the maids were getting me ready.

'This feels like the debutant ball' I was silently crying over how all the maids were running around and yelling.

"Is the dress ready?!"

"How much do we have left?!"

"Are the flowers ready?!"

"Do we have all the accessories?!"

"Gahh!!! We got to hurry!" I felt a headache coming in and that was not good for a 8 year old kid... although I am almost 9.

I couldn't even utter a single word as I was being taken from room to room because of the maids making sure I looked perfect for this banquet and soon after an hour I was ready...

"There all done..." A maid with brown and green eyes said fondly as all the maids looked at me studying their work making sure nothing was out of place.

'Woahh... I knew that I looked pretty because of what others say but I didn't I was THIS pretty even as a 8 year old...' I looked in a  mirror that was polished and framed in a golden color frame.

Mirrors in this time period were considered rare and expensive so usually only royals or high ranking nobles only had them but one of this size and shaped was definitely made for royalty and it was also clear that my dad was spare no expanse in making sure I had the best.

'While I am flattered he did that for me... still did he have to get it if this size?' I was just a 'kid' so there isn't any reason to get me one of this size.

But back to the outfit on hand, it was so adorable and even the maids knew that much even though they probably didn't like me that much because of my birth but it is what it is.

"It seems your done." I heard a familiar boyish voice and when I turned around I saw Lucas who had grown his hair out while looking like a 8 year old boy.

"Yes I am done and why are you here?" I raised an eyebrow at his appearance 

"What? I can't see my best friend who can't seem to live without me?" He had a teasing smile 

"Well no but still I remember you saying that you wanted nothing to do with this party so why did you come?"

"Well I figured I might as well walk you there." He scratched the back of his neck almost seeming unsure of his own words.

"Aww thanks but you know I'll have to enter with my dad right?" I smiled at Lucas while a maid was adjusting a necklace on me.

"Yea but I'll be there before that." Soon the maid backed away after finishing her job and Lucas motioned for me to follow him out.

As we both walked down the corridor in silence while the servants around us were rushing trying to get everything prepared and making sure that nothing was out of place not even a speck of dust.

"What do you think this king will be like?" I asked genuinely curious about what he thinks but I think I know the answer to that.

"What does it matter? He is only here for a few days before leaving again..."  a typical answer from him.

"Not just him, I heard that his son is coming too."

"Why bring a prince to a meeting between kings?" Lucas looked at me stupefied

"Well dad thinks that he wants his son to marry me..." I said rather bashfully because well... I was still a kid but then again these marriages often happen young for noble or royalty 

"Well than he is just plain stupid... as if your father will allow that—"

"Allow what?" Another voice had joined the conversation.

"Father!" I yelled out a bit surprised and happy to see him

"Athanasia... now what were you two speaking about?" Gilgamesh smiled at me for a second before turning his attention to Lucas.

"We were just speaking about the prince and the king attending his majesty banquet." Lucas said elegantly as his tone immediately turned polite which honestly is weird to see.

"Dad, Lucas thinks that the king is stupid for bringing the prince of the kingdom here to meet us..." 

"he is stupid, as if I'll let some random boy off the streets marry you." The comment made me smile while trying to hold back laughter

'He's not some random boy though... he's a prince' I knew that but still it didn't make it any less funny.

"Your majesty please do not forget where we are because right now there's a wall separating us from the people and should they hear your comment, rumors will spread..." Siduri who was standing silently beside us spoke up to remind us j what was happening.

"She right dad." I said as I grabbed onto his clothes

"Tch... so what if they hear us..." he spat out annoyed 

"Your majesty and your highness it's time for your appearance!" A young male servant came running up to us.

"Alright that means it's time for me to leave." Lucas said as turned on his heels leave not before giving me a wave.

"Bye Lucas." I waved back as Siduri left to the main room of the banquet and the servant got into position to announce me and my father appearance.

"Dad I'm nervous..." I said as I felt myself sweating

"Don't be... you have me by your side." Gilgamesh said in a quiet tone as he grabbed my hand in attempt to comfort me.

'Yea I do...' I smiled at him before turning my attention to the outside.

"ENTERING IS THE KING OF URUK, KING GILGAMESH AND HIS DAUGHTER PRINCESS ATHANASIA!!" The servants voice was loud and could be heard from all corners of the room the large golden doors opened light began to flood my vision as all chatter and voices came to a halt .

'So... this is a ancient banquet...' I silently gawked at the sight in front of me as the people began to bow their heads in respect and the path way to Gilgamesh throne was made as he led me to throne hand in hand and despite the fact the people heads were bowed I can tell they were judging me but too afraid to do anything in the moment.

'So this is how they act in front Gilgamesh... not surprising though...' and we soon made it to the throne as I stood in next to Gilgamesh as he told me to and when Gilgamesh sat down he looked at the nobles in a sharp manner.

"Now we wait." Gilgamesh announced a sort of signal that they can stop bowing and so they raised their heads and looked dead at us.

'I really hope I survive this...' I cried silently even though I kept a natural face.