Ch. 2.2 - The Strongest Link

What is all of this nonsense? These memories...They don't belong to me. Does God think this is funny? What a sick joke.

I ended up fighting someone the second I arrived at this place, in a body that wasn't mine, no less. The owner of this vessel belonged to a girl named Horikita Suzune. She's flexible and strong but a far cry from being invincible. It took some time for me to get used to her body while I was fighting that young man in glasses, who was apparently her older brother.

Does that explain the reason why I felt like my chest was throbbing? Was the soul of Horikita Suzune pleading for the safety of her beloved brother? I do not understand her fixation. According to the memories I've inherited from her, she was just about to be hurt by the same person she admired.

It is possible that he is merely putting on a facade for the benefit of his sister's revolution though this is not a matter I need to be involved in.

...However, something about my existence is bothering me. I've never seen, heard of, or felt the people and objects residing within my memories, but I understand them clearly

That boy, Ayanokouji. Even on our first encounter, the words I said to him seemed natural. It's a feeling I cannot explain at the moment. My theory is that the girl harbors a significant influence over what she says and to who she says it, despite not directly controlling her own body.

Even at this moment, I felt this disconcerting feeling. As if there's someone knocking from within my heart.

I was finally able to arrive at my "room," after a plethora of inconveniences that bothered me throughout the way.

The 'elevator' appeared like a menacing contraption. Being stuck in a closed space like that while two metallic blocks denied your only escape route was excruciating.

I looked into the memories of the girl. Based on her and numerous other people's experiences, I accepted that the elevator was safe. Another inconvenience was the lock of "my room". Never have I seen a room that could be opened with a card before. It didn't feel natural.

The room itself was not spacious. I would be suffocated if I had to live here every day. I went around the room, feeling and experiencing every inch of it. The girl, Suzune. All her belongings were studying materials. Barely any signs of sentimental property. It looked nothing like a room of a young girl like her. Even I owned more references than her when I was at her age. Yet, I still had a room that was pleasing to the eyes.

As I continued to give myself a tour of the place, I stumbled upon a mirror almost the same size as me-rather, her. I went up to it to examine myself.

She was indeed a beautiful girl. Her eyes, especially.

!?
Her eyes!

It's moving even though I'm staying still!

The eyes of the girl in the mirror became dilated-shocked. It started moving on its own, utterly unconnected from my own movements.

She opened her mouth.

"Who are you?" she said. "...What have you done to my brother?"

She speaks.

Through the mirror, I conversed with the owner of this body.

"Dear, I'm just as perplexed as you are."

"Please, I'm begging you. Let me out so I can talk to my brother," she knocked desperately on the invisible barrier separating us.

"Your brother should be safe. I asked your friend to tend to him."