Ch. 3.4 - Soft-boiled Egg

"We did it, Medea-sama," Suzune subtlely cheers from somewhere.

I was walking out of the school building with a clean victory and contract under my arsenal. Due to our nature of sharing a body, Suzune being able to talk to me as long as I was reflected by anything proved to be overpowered against people who did not know better.

"I was nervous while you were putting on the blindfold," Suzune added. "I had an aching feeling that things were about to turn in the wrong direction."

"You had no reason to since we already ensured it would work beforehand. That unhealthy anxiety might come to destroy you someday."

"It's not a habit. Every part of me was on the line. It'd be more unusual if I didn't feel nervous."

"No. Those crucial moments in life are when you are not supposed to feel anything that would hinder your performance. If you were to make a mistake because you were nervous, and inevitably cost you something valuable, you would regret ever feeling anxious, would you not?"

"Yes. But that's easier said than done."

I scoffed, "Then you have a long way to go, Suzune. Anyways, where are you even seeing me from?"

"I'm using the security cameras," she replied. "It's weird being able to talk to you like this."

"Hmm...I see. We should get something that would allow you to talk to me no matter the situation. In that way, even if things start to go wrong, you can warn me immediately."

"Are we going to use the same trick on Sudou-kun?"

"Of course not. That little game we did with Ike and Yamauchi would most likely only work on them."

As long as the opposing party understands that it is impossible for me to win under all those conditions, they would inevitably zero in on the fact that I would undeniably cheat. The camera was our lifeline. However, it also stands out too much. A simple rule like, I have to guess before they show their cards, would immediately turn all the odds against me.

Their biggest mistake was allowing me to make the rules without any repercussions. If they had protested a bit, I might not have had such a clean victory.

That said, it is no longer a matter we need to worry about. Our next stop is the sports annex facilities. It is getting late but club practices should still be going on at this time.

That raises a question.

"Suzune, why are you not in any clubs?"

"Huh? Clubs?" Suzune seemed repulsed. "They seemed to be a waste of time."

I was just as appalled by what she said.

"How can you call a place of learning and gathering experience a waste of time? You truly have a long way to go. Not to mention that you did not even know about class points at the time of the fair. You should have thought about it better."

Suzune stayed silent, most likely evaluating her thoughts. We can just decide which club to join later.

I continued walking towards the sports annex. As I arrived, a security guard inquired about my visit. After mentioning the basketball club and that I was interested in joining, he gave me directions and let me pass. He told me that the girls' gymnasium was just one hallway away from the boys'. Obviously, that was not where I was going.

Soon enough, I was nearing the entrance where the boys' basketball club activities supposedly took place. In front of me was a closed sizeable double door. Light peeked through the cracks. The sound of sneakers squeaking echoed from inside the gymnasium. The eerie noises were followed by continuous thuds against the floor and loud declarative voices.