Ch. 5.1 - Picking Up Pace

Spark.

Footsteps sounded in the empty hallways, bringing a slight chill down my spine. I turned around to see Ayanokouji coming up to me in shallow and deliberate steps.

"Ayanokouji."

"Horikita, let's make a deal."

I furrowed an eyebrow.

"A deal? My, aren't you quite active lately? Are you sure you have your priorities straight?"

His eyes showed no flicker of emotion. I wonder if whatever's hiding under that stoic mask of his would ever surface. I felt the urge to reach out to his face and forcefully lure the demons out of him.

"I've been curious all this time. If you're truly what you say you are, where is the actual Horikita?"

I locked my gaze onto him.

"What are you trying to say?"

"She can't just be locked somewhere, right? You mentioned that you made a promise to her. In other words, you can communicate."

A subtle, self-assured grin slowly curved at the corners of my lips.

"You possess quite the imagination, Ayanokouji. But I can't blame you since you're in front of the supernatural, after all."

"I suppose. That's why I went to confirm a few things. As they say, when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

"You went to Chabashira, didn't you?"

One of the most essential aspects you need to survive in this environment is curiosity. If you are not afraid to experiment to determine what is possible, one way or another, you will find something worthwhile. As such, there is nothing in this school you can not buy with private points.

"That's right. I saw the footage. All of this. Ike and Yamauchi's rebellion, their evidence, Horikita Manabu's appearance, and the fact that you'll probably lose your contract soon. It was all because of me."

"So?" I dropped the grin. "You're gonna hold me hostage with the case? The investigation will end with Ike and Yamauchi being branded as fools. They will most likely face punishment for wasting everyone's time, but the worst is yet to come."

"Yes. I can hold them accountable for defamation on top of it all. Expulsion won't be farfetched."

I let out a sigh.

"What do you want?"

"I want to help you reach Class A."

A jolt of disbelief coursed through me. My eyes narrowed to a slit.

"Huh? Are you listening to yourself? If you wanted that, you would have never got in my way."

"I've told you before that you can't reach Class A like this. If I can foil your plans, then so can anyone else."

"What are your motives even?"

"Let me help you. I want you to show me what someone from another world is capable of."

"You are a mere child."

"I'm sorry, but you don't seem to have a choice. Once Ike and Yamauchi get expelled, Class D will forever be stuck at rock bottom. It's only downhill from there."

Through a burst of frustration, I reached for Ayanokouji's collar, my fingers tightening around the fabric of his uniform.

"You will come to regret trying to manipulate me."