Ch. 2.4.1 - Destiny Ignited I

After the rising storm set her path from the Student Council room back to our class, I was left with a stunned Horikita Manabu.

"Do you believe everything she's said?" I asked the Student Council President a question.

"No, not everything. There's still a chance that Suzune is keeping up an act. However, all evidence points to the supernatural."

"I agree. I'm sure your sister had never turned against you before so the incident yesterday was already a major red flag."

"She made a good point, though. A lot could've happened during our three years of not meeting," he paused. "However, her eyes..."

"Glowing purple? I saw the same thing yesterday."

Those purple eyes were filled with pure confidence and determination. I've never seen anything like them in my whole life. And this feeling...it's unknown. Like my soul is being dragged into this eternal swirling abyss known as Medea Solon.

"That matter is undeniable."

"I guess you just have to accept that the little sister you once knew won't be coming back any time soon."

"That woman is dangerous," he said, staring at the hallway the purple-eyed woman had taken. "I'll have to monitor her at all times to make sure she doesn't do anything that would cause a matter of concern."

"She mentioned something about a promise to your sister. Perhaps it's reaching Class A?"

"We don't exactly know who my little sister is at this point. I advise that you doubt anything that she says."

Ah...I guess the president really is worried about Horikita. He was acting all rough with her yesterday but there was actually a hidden side of him that he had never shown before.

Still, it's not like what he's saying is purely out of concern for his little sister. Whoever this person is, she's serious—regardless if she's actually Horikita or not. If her true aim is actually reaching Class A, then this school better prepare itself for the chaos that's brewing.

Well, this would make things more interesting from now on.

"Ayanokouji," he turned to me. "I need a favor."

"What is it? I doubt I can live up to fulfill your needs, though."

"Considering the direction that woman is taking, your class will soon be under her rule. When that time comes, I want you to look out for Suzune."

"That makes little sense. Your sister and that woman are in the same body. How do I look out for her? In the first place, there is no way I can go up against that person. Her new presence alone scares me."

Assuming that Medea Solon took control of Horikita's body during the incident yesterday, then it's safe to think that she barely has any experience of this world. And yet, during the twelve hours she's set foot into this school, she had already defeated the Student Council President in hand-to-hand combat and sought a deal with him that guaranteed our midterms. How am I supposed to deal with that?

"You truly are an interesting person."

"I've been trying to keep a low profile so I don't know where you got that from."

"Low profile, you say?" he paused. "You consider intentionally scoring all fifties in your entrance test low profile?"

"That's just a coincidence."

"What even motivated you to enter this school?"

As soon as he said that, a piece of my memory crept into my mind. Images of the White Room hovered over my head. The easy answer would be freedom. However, for some reason, I no longer resonate with that word as much as I did before. I can't really say that.

"At first, I wanted to know about equality. But I realized how simple that question was."

"Equality, huh? Then, I suppose you changed your mind?"

"Yes," I replied. "Can I ask you something?"

"As long as it's within my knowledge, yes."

"Do you believe in destiny?"

Destiny—a path set for you where all your actions will, one day, lead you to a set final answer. To someone who seeks freedom in their own decisions, destiny is their arch nemesis—the bane of their existence. A world that accepts destiny is one where freedom is an illusion.

"Destiny? Well, of course not. There will always be ways for someone to indefinitely change the course of their life. We have the power to act on our own accord. It's ridiculous to think that all of your actions are pre-determined to lead to the same ending."

A truly logical answer, as expected from the great Student Council President.

He continued and asked, "What prompted you to ask such a question?"

"I was just curious. Thanks for your input. It really helped."

Considering everything that has happened up until now, my curious mind can't help but ask:

Is this my destiny?

If God is known to play awful pranks on His creations, then my current situation isn't all that surprising. After living my whole life generating numbers and results, I finally found freedom and peace. However, Medea Solon spawns out of nowhere as if she was brought here—brought to me.

It's a sick joke.

"I don't believe in destiny either," I said.

"However," I made a short pause. "If destiny is actually true, then this would be it."

"What are you talking about?"

In a world of freedom, destiny is an illusion.

"I've changed my mind. I'll look out for your sister. However, that's the only thing I'll be doing."

The president looked shocked for a bit but eventually flashed a faint smile.

"Thank you. That's reassuring. Here, take this," he handed me a card. "You can contact me at any time if you need anything."

"I see. I'll take note of that."

"Then, you should get back to class. I'll start making preparations for your midterms."

I gave the president a nod before taking the same hallway as that woman.