Ch. 3.3 - A Warrior's Choice

Flashback to The Strongest Link

"First, we have to fix your class."

"Fix my class?" Suzune asked as she slowly stood back up while wiping her tears.

"Yes. As you may have guessed, I have access to your memories, knowledge, skills, and even experience. I literally am you. From what I can see, you're in the worst class among your batch, Class D. All of you are disoriented and unorganized—a group full of delinquents and prideful people."

"That's right...That's why I believe the school made the wrong assessment. I'm not supposed to be in Class D. It doesn't make sense that I was thrown into a class with these idiots."

"Your academics are undoubtedly impressive. However, I believe this attitude of yours is befitting of a Class D student."

"Huh?" Suzune slightly furrowed an eyebrow.

"You were assigned to Class D—period. Now, what should you do? Whine about it? No, of course not. If you truly are worthy of Class A, you are to crawl to the top with every ounce of your strength. To me, that is what defines superiority."

"But—"

I interjected, "No buts. You made some improvements already. Sudou Ken, Ike Kanji, and Yamauchi Haruki. These three are at risk of failure and inevitably—expulsion. You decided to lend a hand and formed a study group but it ended catastrophically."

"Yes, because they're too far gone. Even middle schoolers could do better than them. If we're going to surpass the higher classes, shouldn't we get rid of the dead weight?"

I scoffed, "If we were still in my world, I would agree with you. If my soldiers or allies can't live up to my expectations, then I will simply discard them."

"See! That's why—"

I cut her off again, "But only because I can find other people who can perform the job better in their place. However, in this current situation, there are no people who can do a better job—there are no replacements. So, if you want to fix your class, you need to start making the dead weight useful."

"How would we do that?" Suzune asked a lovely question.

"Since they currently despise you, we have no choice but to make a deal with them. Or better yet—force them. Still, I am a newcomer here. You'll have to fill me in with specific details as to how this world really works."

After that, I took a seat in front of the girl in the mirror. Although I had most of the answers to my questions all thanks to Suzune's memories, I lacked the understanding of some concepts which she gladly explained to me. However, It did not take much time to learn. Everything was relatively easy to comprehend since I was not a newborn child.

She cleared up basic history, politics, war, school systems, technology, culture, language, and society. She also talked a little more about her subjects. However, since most of them were founded based on universal ideas, I caught up in no time. I am interested in technology, though. It's such a profound concept that has apparently advanced so much in this world that it is already beyond everything I have known so far.

All the time I have spent practicing the sword could prove to be meaningless against a gun—a weapon capable of firing small pieces of metal at a speed the eye can not follow. It's quite terrifying.

Of course, I would still have to study all of the complicated topics on my own some other time. I can start with the current curriculum and then progress from there.