Ch. 5.2 - Dead Air

"Hey, do you play anything, Ayanokouji?"

Despite my worst interests, Sudou, Ayanokouji, and I were now making our way toward the sports annex building like a pod of idiots. I was imagining this exact scenario without Ayanokouji yesterday. It's detestable. However, since I'm supposed to work with this faceless psychopath, I might as well get used to his unbearable presence.

"I think I could be really good at table tennis," Ayanokouji replied.

"Eh? Are you serious?" Sudou turned to him in shock. "How lame."

"What's wrong with table tennis?"

"You should pick up something more exciting or whatever makes you look flashy."

"Table tennis is cool."

Sudou let out a sigh.

"You don't get it, do you? I knew it. You're a scrub."

"..."

"Are you two incapable of walking in silence?" I interrupted. "We're barely halfway there, and I'm already considering going home."

"Sorry," they said at the same time.

I sighed and looked up at the sky to distract myself.

It was about 3:40 PM. The sun won't set for another hour or so, but the sky was already starting to lose its color. The beautiful blue hues were faintly turning orange, and the clouds were becoming more noticeable. During this, I felt a vague sense of nostalgia hit my chest.

I used to look at completely different skies.

It has barely been five days since I arrived in this strange world, and the amount of things I have learned already is astonishing. Apart from that, not needing to be concerned about certain things is such a breath of fresh air. Although it'd be a whole different story when I eventually return to my world, that's something only my future self should be worried about.

I should just focus on being Horikita Suzune, a typical high schooler with her own dreams. Well, perhaps it's too late to say typical. So much has happened because of me. Talk about a grand entrance.

"We're here."

Security recognized Sudou and greeted him with a smile. The guard then confirmed the purpose of our visit and let us through. Quite a few students were going in and out of the building. Some were holding their respective club equipment, while others were already dressed up in their appropriate attire. We passed the tennis court earlier as well and it seemed like they were already warming up.

"What are you here for anyway, Horikita?" Sudou asked.

"Didn't I tell you? I'm here to join a club."

"Yeah, I know that! But which one?"

"I decided on one, but I looked it up on the school forums and it seems like it doesn't exist."

"Come look here," Ayanokouji pointed at a hallway we just missed. "There's a bulletin board. What club were you looking for?"

"The kendo club," I said as I was scouring through the flyers plastered on top of each other.

"Kendo? That's interesting," Ayanokouji commented.

"Damn, are you for real? Actually, that's kinda hardcore."

Rustle.

"It doesn't seem like they have one. I have no recollection of a kendo club being mentioned during the fair as well."

"If you're interested in martial arts, why don't you try the Judo club?"

Right, Suzune did suggest that to him before.

"Perhaps. I could check it out."

"Eh? Really?" Sudou turned to me, quite surprised. "You're pretty badass, Horikita. I didn't know that."

"Maybe I'd be good in Judo too," Ayanokouji joked.

"Hell no. They'd cripple you on your first day."

"Don't scare me..."

I let out a sigh. I continued looking through the bulletin board and picked one from the Judo club.

"This flyer says the dojo is on the second floor. You can leave now, Sudou-kun."

"Eh? But we're not done talking."

"You have club practice, don't you? I'll be busy inquiring with the Judo club as well. We won't be able to have a decent talk."

He clicked his tongue.

"Argh. You're right. Whatever then. I pretty much get what's going on anyways."

"I'm sure you do."

"Well, I'll catch you later. See ya," Sudou-kun said as he ran to another hallway.

"Since when was Sudou that...friendly?"

"It's a mystery to me as well, but perhaps he's just passionate about sports. In any case, I'll be going now, Ayanokouji-kun."

"I see. I'll just roam around here."

I nodded before heading in the opposite direction. As I was about to head up the stairs, I turned back to see the figure of Ayanokouji slowly fading away. My eyes turned to a slit. My cheeks stiffened and the curves of my lips curled into a grimace.

That person is creepy after all.