Ch. 4.2 - The Human Benchmark

As I exited the lobby elevator and took my first morning steps outside the dormitories, an unknown beautiful shade of the sky presented itself before me. The capricious wind brushed against my face and hair, giving me a faint chill in contrast to my cozy body.

I looked around as I walked towards the park. The pink-petalled trees had already started to fall with the wind. This was the only instance that I took the time to appreciate this world's seemingly beautiful nature. If I recall correctly, these trees are named cherry blossoms. Even its name is fine art.

Despite the school being known to me as a busy place, the park welcomed me with peace and tranquility. I guess weekends truly make a difference for students. Who knows how many of them are still slacking off in their beds? Sleeping like there is no tomorrow.

I disregarded my useless thoughts and placed my water bottle on top of a bench.

The key to a good workout is a proper warm-up. With some decent stretches, my body will prepare itself for possible arduous exercises and get my blood flowing. The sweater helps with this as well. And medically speaking, this will also prevent unwanted injuries.

Suzune looked dumbfounded when I brought up exercising which is concerning. Even if she is flexible and fit because of her martial arts background, I need to increase her strength and maintain decent stamina.

Typically, I stretch my muscles and joints from head to toe.

I started with routine head rotations, swinging my neck clockwise and counterclockwise. I did this while subtly counting in my mind.

Next, elbows. Your elbows make up about the strongest bones of your body—second only to the thigh bone, the undisputed femur.

Needless to say, they need proper stretches, or else their potential is wasted.

After stretching my arms, I slowly worked my way down.

I was in the middle of reaching my toes when I picked up footsteps coming from my side. I turned my head and met a flipped image of a young blonde man wearing a tight short-sleeved shirt and matching sweatpants. Is that even a shirt? The fabric almost looks like it is shining so I have some doubts.

I fixed my posture to get a better look at him.

What a fine figure, I thought. But something bothered me. I feel I know this person. Before I knew it, I might have stared too long. The young man and I made eye contact.

He oozed with so much confidence—it was almost creepy.

He let out a sheepish smirk and ran his right hand through his long hair while putting his left hand on his waist as if assuming some pose.

"Oh? Are you captivated by my beauty, girl?" he spoke in a deep and arrogant voice.

I had thought this person was fine art but he is just a lost narcissist. Still, who is this person?

As if answering my thoughts, a voice inside my head spoke, "That's Kouenji-kun."

Ah, Kouenji Rokusuke. Now I remember. I have been working too much behind the scenes that I had forgotten the faces of my classmates. Truly, a tragedy.

"What do you mean, Kouenji-kun?" I said, slightly annoyed.

"Oh, you know who I am? Well, of course you do. Those who have been enchanted by my presence once would never forget me."

He then looked at me with curious eyes, "I see. You seem familiar. You must be a classmate."

"I am," I confirmed. "We are both from Class D."