Ch. 4.6 - Zero Hour I

I kept myself seated obediently with eyes gleaming toward the person named Ayanokouji Kiyotaka. And yet, I could barely contain any leak of my dumbfoundedness at this bizarre situation. I traced my glance back to Ike, supposedly the conductor of this sloppy piece.

Indeed, I cheated. However, there is no world where those methods would ever work. And yet, the looks in everyone's eyes speak like they believe it.

"Eh? Ayanokouji?"

"It makes sense!"

"He's right. Isn't he really close with Horikita-san?"

Murmurs filled the room with resounding realization. Spoon-fed by the false puzzle pieces given to them by Ike and Yamauchi, more than half of the class was swept by the mystery.

But all of this is nothing but an illusion—a fantasy created by desperate people.

Needless to say, Chabashira and Ayanokouji know they didn't help me win the game. That was all Suzune. Given the circumstances, there are more than fifty ways to prove our innocence. But how would that affect the situation?

Wait a minute.

Hirata spoke up, "Ayanokouji-kun, is what they're saying true?"

Wait.

"Do you have any evidence, Ike?" Ayanokouji finally spoke up.

"Evidence? Of course, we do!" Ike pounded his chest. "Actually, we were already suspicious of you long ago, Ayanokouji. But we had to make sure."

Before another word escaped Ike's mouth, I intervened.

"Ike-kun. Whatever you found, think about it properly and consider if it would hold up. Anything you say after this could backfire against you."

As it stood, my classmates were already starting to doubt Ayanokouji and me. If I said anything reckless, it might escalate the situation even further. In the end, staying quiet might have been the better choice.

"Is that a threat, Horikita?" Ike scanned the room. "Do you guys see this? She's trying to run away."

I shook my head in disappointment and sat back down.

I miscalculated one thing.

"What? You're not gonna say anything else?"

"Do what you want, Ike-kun."

Ike furrowed an eyebrow and glared at me. He probably didn't expect my sudden change of tone, but at this point, it doesn't even matter anymore.

"So be it! Everyone, listen! Yesterday, we went to Ayanokouji's room. And guess what we found? It was Horikita's handkerchief! The exact same one she used to blindfold herself with!"

"What?" Yukimura exclaimed. "Do you have it with you?"

"No. We didn't want to touch it. It's just like in those detective movies where someone finds a dead body, and then the main character shouts Don't touch him! But I'm sure the school authorities can check. If they find Horikita's fingerprints on that handkerchief, it should be enough to prove them guilty."

"That's..."

"What if he threw away the handkerchief when you guys left?" someone asked.

"Uh...Then, can't they just look at the CCTV? If they see Horikita-san go into Ayanokouji-kun's room. Isn't that suspicious enough?" another student answered.

"You're right! So, what will it be, Ayanokouji? If you admit to your crimes right now, we might reconsider your punishment," Yamauchi said proudly.

Despite it seeming like the end of the world for the lone wolf, a single glance at him would tell you otherwise. He simply stares back with his unfazed, aloof, and disinterested eyes.