Moving On

It was the night of Beth's fifteenth birthday. She and I sat on the couch, counting down the seconds until midnight. "Five, four, three, two... one!" We cheered, hugging each other tightly.

"You're fifteen! Congrats, Beth." I squealed, almost too excited to talk.

"Thanks Maya." She exclaimed, smiling brightly.

A fifteenth birthday meant the torture was over. Except for mother. Mother was the exception. She was tortured from when they were married at the age of 27 up until her death at age 48.

"I hope you're finally done with... the tradition." I said, the tone turning serious.

She looked at me and slightly smiled, "I hope not."

"Why on Earth would you hope something like that?!" I asked, dumbfounded that she'd ever let those words come from her mouth.

"Because no beatings for me means all beatings for you." She said, kissing my forehead, and patting my shoulder.

We were silent for a moment until my father staggered into the living room, clutching a bottle of vodka in his unsteady hand.

"C-c'mon Beth. Your last beating. Y-you might even get a little extra if you're good." He said, his words were clumsy and all over the place.

She stood, holding a smile on her face as she looked down at me.

"Be brave." I whispered, giving her a reassuring squeeze on the hand.

She smiled at me and confidently followed my father into the pit of hell.

.......
Hey guys! Thanks so much for reading! Hope you are enjoying it so far! I have a lot more time to update because of summer break, so expect a ton of new chapters. Love you all, And don't forget to vote and comment!!! *Mwah* Xoxo -Mo