Myrtle Beach

The final school bell chimed, signifying the end of the school year.

"Have a good summer everyone. Farewell, seniors." The principal announced over the intercom.

I smiled to myself, proud of the progress I'd made since losing Sophia. I gathered my things and left the classroom.

I weaved in and out of the hustling students, finding my way to my locker. I grabbed my gym bag out of the otherwise empty space.

"Maya!" My friend Carly called my name as she approached me.

I turned around and smiled at her. "Hey, Carl."

Carly had been one of my closest friends since mid junior year. She had also been a friend of Sophia's and was also pretty affected when Sophia died. Of course, back then her parents were still married, and her father hadn't yet been introduced to cocaine. Needless to say, she was going through a bit of a rough patch. She was the kind of girl who wasn't afraid to speak her mind--no matter how blunt it was.

"We're done here! Done with this stupid school." She kicked the locker by mine.

"Whoa. I guess you're pretty psyched then, huh?" I laugh, grabbing my car keys out of my book bag.

"Oh definitely. I never thought this day would come," She smiled, taking her phone out of her pocket. "Now that I think of it, I should go and tell Mr. Welby where to stick his career."

"You probably shouldn't tell the principle where to stick his career." I laughed, closing my locker.

"You should come to Dylan's party tonight. It's supposed to be huge. Everyone's going." Carly said.

"Can't.  I'm driving up to my parent's beach house this afternoon."

"Ah Maya! What a bummer! We won't get to see each other before I leave for college. I want to fly out to Jersey early and live with my sister until it starts back up in the fall." She sighed.

"Tell you what, I'll stop by the party and say 'hi' to everyone. That way we can say goodbye." I reassured her.

"Stay for a drink?" She asked.

"No, I won't have time."

"Oh come on, Em!" She pleaded.

"Fine. One drink." I chuckled as we began walking downstairs.

"Two?" She bargained.

"One." I refused.

"Fine. I'll catch you later then!" She waved, departing to her other friends.

I walked outside to my car, waving to a couple friends here and there.

"Yo M.P!" Clark, a fellow senior pulled out in front of my car and rolled down his window.

I waved and opened my trunk, throwing my bag inside.

"You going to Dylan's party tonight?" He asked, receiving a honk from an impatient student in the car behind him.

"I'll be there." I smiled.

"Aight. Cool." He rolled up his window and sped off.

I closed my trunk and hopped in my mini cooper.

............

Our house was only about fifteen minutes from the school. As I drove, I tapped my thumbs on the steering wheel, nodding my head to the gently playing music. I looked around at my small town and thought about how I'd miss it dearly. The people in it, and all the small beauties I'd taken for granted my entire life.