Tears and Gravestones

"I'm so sorry." I whisper, tears rolling down my cheeks.

I kneel next to her grave, putting a dozen ivory Daisies on the soil where my best friend lies just 6 feet below.

There's an intense pressure in my chest as I sniffle, wiping my nose on the back of my hand.

"Goodbye Sophia." I whisper, placing my hand on her grave.

I slowly stand, and make my way to the edge of the cemetery. I stop and turn around, looking past the countless headstones to the spot in the nicely kept grass where my best friend's lies among the rest.

Finally building up the courage to leave, I turn around and walk into Jessica's warm embrace.

"Are you okay?" Jessica whispers, putting her hand on my shoulder.

I don't answer, but simply shake my head and cry harder.

"I'm here for you. Always." She sighs.

"I'm just angry," I cry. "It's just not fair. Sophia was six solid months from graduating with the rest of us. Halfway through senior year. She was far too young to die. We are all getting to graduate at the end of the year, and she's the only one who won't be there."

"I know, Maya. It's awful." Jessica sighs.

........

For the next couple of days, it feels like I'm in some sort of a trance. The days pass without real implication, and my brain can't seem to establish the things that occur. I've lost all desire or appetite for food, or conversation. It feels as if my entire world has come to an end.

Every morning I wake up hoping that it was all a terrible dream. I take a moment to cross my fingers and eagerly pull out my phone and call Sophia's number. When no one answers and I hear her voice on the recorded messaging, I close my eyes and realize that none of this is a nightmare. It's all very real, and yes, my best friend is truly gone.

.....

Hello everyone! I know I haven't uploaded in FOREVER but I am going to try and update more often. I'm really sorry I haven't been posting. I love you all and hope you enjoy this chapter and all the ones to come. <3