f o r t y - 6

Sehven

Erin.

Erin

Erin.

My little sister from another mista'. The one that didn't mind speaking her mind. She has always fit the picture of what a spoiled younger sister looks and acts like. Feisty and dominant.

"All I'm sayin' is, don't be surprised if a random ass dish fall or some shit. You know Granny Jo's ass used to play too much."

I had spent hours, days, and nights inside our grandmother's home in recent years. Sometimes just for a moment to myself. To cry out loud without shame. Letting out my frustrations at times. In a few instances, I was begging that the angel of our maternal grandmother would appear.

It never happened obviously and while I understand my little sister's fear of ghosts, I can assure her — Granny Jo won't be coming back to scare us. Hell, she didn't come back when I needed her the most. Well, not in the psychical form.

"Girl, bring yo' ass on. I just wanna check on the house." Erin sighed dramatically before grabbing her water from the cup holder of Migi's Escalade.

The two of us made our way together and I used my key to open the modest home of the late JoBeth Knight. My reason for the unexpected visit was concerning Monica. It's been a little over a full week since her fiasco and I wasn't sure where she was. There's been no phone calls or random messages. She hasn't reappeared to beg for another chance or even some cash. The past nine days have been quiet.

So I wanted to make sure that her silence wasn't because of her uninvited comfort. Granny Jo had quite a few requests when signing over her home to me, but number one was always: Don't lose it. Especially not to ya' mother, child. This is for you and Erin. So, Protect it.

And I would keep her wish close to my heart.

While I had put extra security on the abandoned home  — I didn't put anything past Monica. She's been on heavy drugs for well over twenty years. She was capable of breaking into anything.

Granny Jo's home wasn't the newest on the block, it wasn't the biggest either. But it was home. It was the only place to lay my head for years, even after our grandmother's lost fight against cancer. Especially after that. I stayed here until I was positioned to afford a thousand dollars in rent after graduating with my Master's. That's also the same time Erin came to live with me full-time.

"Well, it looks fine to me. Now let's go."

Rolling my eyes, I waved toward the living room. Erin was annoyed but still went ahead.

"5 minutes, E."

"That's too damn long. We just looking around to see if anything is missing right?"

"Not necessarily missing. I don't think she'll be stupid enough to take anything. But if she was here, there'll be a sign. Your mother is smarter than you think."

"Most crackheads are very intelligent, Sehven."

The two of us checked out the bedrooms, bathrooms, kitchen, and even the patio area. Erin was right on my heels the entire time, making me laugh at her random burst of clinginess. She has had moments of needing to be near. To feel me, and hear my voice in times of panic or worry. But right now? She was almost in competition with Migi.

"You really did a great job with the renovations. This place is beautiful," Erin blurted out as we made our way back to the kitchen after finishing the back of the family home. "Oh! I can't wait until you do the baby's room! Or the baby shower," She squealed then, making me laugh at her childish excitement. "Wait, are you two planning to get a house...like one, together?"