𝗦𝗲𝗵𝘃𝗲𝗻'𝘀 𝗘𝗽𝗶𝗹𝗼𝗴𝘂𝗲

ʜᴀᴘᴘʏ ᴇᴀꜱᴛᴇʀ 🩷🧸💛
________________

Sehven

Thirteen Months Later

Lazy Saturdays are my recent favorites. Typically, weekends in the Vargas household are dedicated to preparing for the next week's workload. Especially with Migi's From the Sole sneaker shop being the newest business under his belt.

The store receives shipments weekly. Sometimes up to three times a week — depending on how high the demand was. Migi has ten employees on payroll currently. Four of them were hired as primary stockers. Even then, he doesn't mind helping.

I thought my workload at The Lux Inches had increased immensely in the last year, but it was nothing compared to my husband's weekly tasks.

After celebrating our wedding anniversary a few weeks ago, he decided to throw his energy into his businesses. For a little while. December was approaching in a couple months and Migi had in mind a month-long vacation for the three of us.

Prior to my maternity leave from the center. I gained the title of Chief of AIS & ADB Programs. That workload quadrupled from my prior assignments. But in the last year of being home and working remotely — it was the enhancements at The Lux Inches which drove me crazy. I decided six months ago, to add two more people to the staff and more importantly, more services. My role as a remote Chief was also coming to an end. And going back into the office as Dr. Vargas was now my biggest fear.

Migi anniversary of the DFW469 opening had passed, but he was planning a celebration for his team in Dallas. It'll be in two days and he'll be gone for two days in preparation for it.

So before our much-needed escape, work had to be completed. But not too much today. I already deemed it a lazy Saturday when I woke up and lack of energy made me roll back over.

Little hands patted my face as she turned over. Her pacifier dropped to the bed and then her curly hair rubbed against my nose. She used her legs and arms to crawl on top of me. "Ma..ma, mama."

Little Miss. Vargas maneuvered her way to my breasts, whining softly. But she didn't need me, at all. I swear, this little girl was ten months going on six. In no time, she pushed my tank top away to receive her first dose of breakfast. Her soft cries eased down as she latched on to my nipple. Her curly hair was on my chest as her free hand searched for my other breast. In less than ten minutes she'll be ready to switch.

I winced slightly but allowed her to maintain our normal routine. Slowly opening my eyes I was met with the sweetest thing that's ever happened to me. So pure and adorable.

Sitting up, I cradled her into my arms before checking the clock to the right of me. 10:03. Rubbing my fingers through her head full of hair, we took in the morning together.

Zuri Chanai Vargas was our early Christmas gift. Born on the 22nd of December at 6:14 in the evening. No matter the preparation we had for her delivery, I don't think anyone is ever fully ready for the responsibility of a child. Zuri's experience was unique. Originally, I planned for a home water birth, but thanks to Google, I took my behind to a hospital last minute. Allowing medical staffing to help me.

"Come on, Baby Cakes."

Standing up, I kept her close while walking into the master en suite of the family home. With her in one arm, I simply held those twenty-two pounds close to me. The two of us basking in the morning light coming through the windows.