To His Dismay

They stood at the door, hoping with all their might that the incantation was working. Ronan whispered and muttered the words of the counter curse. Everyone was waiting patiently, waiting and waiting. When Ronan finished, everyone looked at him expectantly. He shrugged and waited...just like them. 

"I'm tired of this!" Sharp snapped, lifting his wand into the air. 

"Sharp--" Ronan reached for the wand. 

"Accio!" Sharp shouted, pulling you towards them. As you drew near, they noticed something peculiar about you. The purple in your eyes was beginning to fade into white. 

"It worked!" Ronan cheered as you slipped into consciousness. 

"Cornelius..." You whisper, fluttering your eyes. 

"We should move her to the hospital wing." Professor Weasley suggested, turning to Sharp. Black watched them carry you away. He felt his stomach churn as he looked back at the common room. Cornelius was able to do this? He had just broken out of Azkaban and he was already more powerful than Black would want to admit. Black decided to follow the others and he closed the doors to the common room. The students who remained watching were ordered to get their things and go to the Great Hall. Black happened to run into Natsai and Poppy on his way to get to you. 

"Is Y/N okay!?" Poppy cried into Natsai's robes. Black nodded, making Poppy cry harder. 

"What happened?" Natsai asked, holding Poppy close. Black bit his lip. He didn't know what to do. If he told them, then there was a chance they would spread the information, or Black could keep it a secret, but risk the students' trust. Students were already worried about their common rooms so what harm could this do? 

"A dark wizard has put a curse on the Ravenclaw common room. We are handling it and we need you to stay calm and hope for your friends." Black tried to keep things as vague as he could, but not to much avail. Poppy's sobs worsened and Natsai had tears in her eyes. "Y/N is okay. Everyone will be okay." Black reassured. He didn't remember the last time he had been this nice to any student that wasn't in front of Y/N. Maybe she was rubbing off on him...preposterous! He was Phineas Nigellus Black! He didn't care about these pathetic students. "Leave now! Get your things!" He commanded and the students quickly ran away. 

"They were only scared for Y/N." Ominis appeared behind Black with a scowl. "I thought that was something you knew well." 

"Hello, Ominis." Black growled, crossing his arms. "What brings you here?" 

"I hope the same reason. To check on Y/N." He replied, nodding towards the direction the other Professors had just went. 

"A common interest." Black said, stalely. He began to follow the Professors' path. Ominis walked next to him. While Black appreciated Ominis' family heritage and blood status, he couldn't stand the boy. 

"So what exactly happened?" Ominis asked, curiously. A sly grin was building on his face as Black ignored him. 

"You don't need to know." Black wished the hospital wing was closer for once. He wished you were in better condition to put Ominis in his place...but you weren't. Which is why he had to get to the hospital wing. His pace quickened and his mind traced out the quickest path there. 

"Are you and Y/N a thing?" 

"Shut up." 

"So you are!" Ominis chuckled. "Rumor has it that she went to your house and met your family. Some say you and your wife are getting a divorce!" His words were making Black's blood boil. How dare he speak of his family that way. 

"That is none of your concern." Black took a deep breath. This was rather odd behavior from Ominis. He never pressed so hard into a topic like this before. Something was up and Black had a feeling it wasn't good. "Hey Ominis, how about you retrieve your items from your common room and meet me at the hospital wing to see Y/N? How does that sound?" Black smirked. 

"Sure." Ominis glared at him and drifted on to a different path. It wasn't long before Black made it up to the wing. 

"How is she doing?" He asked, standing next to your bed. You looked more human now. The counter curse was doing the trick and Ronan looked pretty pleased with himself. 

"As good as we can hope for. I'm glad you found the counter curse, Ronan." Weasley smiled, patting the Professor's shoulder. 

"Where were you?" Sharp glared at Black. 

"Talking to a few students. They were confused about where they were going." He explained, glossing over the many other details that happened in those conversations. 

"I thought I heard Ominis Gaunt's voice." Sharp added. 

"He was the student who asked me where to go." Black pulled a chair up to the side of the bed where you lay. 

"We should contact her family." Weasley muttered. 

"She's an orphan." Black said suddenly. Everyone looked at him with shock. "Like I said. We have ties and connections...that's how we know about more personal matters." 

"Pervert." Sharp hissed. 

"That's not what I meant!" He snapped back. He was ready to throw a bunch of chairs at his staff. He was their boss and they talked to him like he was the janitor. 

"That is not our concern right now." Weasley stepped in. "We have to ensure the health of Y/N and the rest of the Ravenclaw students. Whatever Cornelius is planning is something we should fear. I hope Y/N and Black can figure out how to save Hogwarts." The pressure was on. Someone knocked on the door as Ominis walked into the room. Black glared at him. You were beginning to wake up and you smiled a the sight of your old friend. You didn't know what Ominis knew and you didn't know what Black had inferred. 

"Y/N, are you alright!?" He sounded worried as he ran over and patted your hand. Black felt a twinge of jealousy as the professors smiled at the embrace. Rolling his eyes, Black watched Ominis act so innocent around you, but when he turned to face Black, all he had was a sly, devilish grin. 

"Black?" Y/N asked. Ominis looked surprised as you called out for him. Black pushed Ominis to the side as he mirrored what Ominis had done earlier. 

"Yes?" 

"What are we going to do?" You ask with worry. Black had no idea...but he didn't want to tell you that. 

"If we had the guide..." 

"Pocket." Y/N looked at her robes. She shakingly went in and grabbed it. She handed it to him which made the others suspicious. Ominis squinted curiously at the guide. 

"Perfect. Then I know what to do next." He said, turning it over in his hand. Black was done playing games. He wanted Cornelius to suffer for what he had done and now if his suspicions were correct...Ominis couldn't be trusted either. Y/N smiled at him. His heart felt like melting at the bright light she brought to the otherwise depressing room. They were going to save everyone. They had to. Just so Black could shove it in the face of Ominis, Cornelius,....Ursula. He was ready to kill if he had to. It seemed his anger was warranted at the time...but later it would destroy everything.