Trial 3

"No, no, no." Black said to a tired looking Fig. "I can't do this without Y/N!"

"But you must, Black." Fig sighed, covering his face with his hand. Black paced the floor of the respiratory, hoping that for some reason you would appear to guide him. "It is probably for the best that she is not here for this trial." 

"And what's that supposed to mean, Fig?!" Black snapped, stomping his foot. 

"Just start the trial, Black!" Fig left his portrait and Black let out a huff of anger. He didn't want to do the trial! Never. Ever. This was your problem! This was made for your magic! Not. His. 

"Just remember" He muttered to himself, "You are the most beautiful and handsome man ever. No one can detest to your gracious good looks and amazing hair. Blow them away, Black." He smirked and grabbed the key off the table. "Now where is the trial starting?" He looked around the room, expecting a magic arrow to point the way. His lips pressed together as nothing happened. "You've got to be kidding me!" This was already proving to be a pain and now that he had no idea where to start, he decided to just check in on you for help. He quickly made his way back up to the school and headed towards the Hospital Wing. 

"Professor Black?" A voice asked and he whipped around to see his sons Sirius and Phineas. 

"Boys!" He cried, spreading his arms out for a hug but neither of them took it. He awkwardly drew his arms back. "I mean, boys. It is good to see you." 

"How is Y/N?" Sirius asked, avoiding Black's gaze. Black forced a smile. 

"She's alright for now." He replied, his hands behind his back. "How are you?" 

"Fine." Sirius replied, grabbing Phineas' hand and turning away. 

"Phineas." Black said, making his son turn to face him. "How are you?" Phineas glanced at his brother with fear. 

"I'm good, father." He finally said, joining his brother and walking away. Black felt his heart shatter into a million pieces. What was the point of dwelling if he wasn't receiving the same regret in return.  He took a deep breath before continuing on his journey to the Hospital Wing. He passed many students who sometimes gave him a smile for cancelling classes, but right after he would hear them laugh at him. Every time...except for you. Finally he made it. Black knocked on the door frame before entering. You were reading in your bed, curled up next to your owl plush, Hubert. 

"What are you doing here?" You asked with a confused look. Black sat at the foot of your bed, playing with a string that stuck out of the covers. 

"Fig didn't tell me where the trial started, so I came back here." He said, plainly. 

"How do you know that the trial hasn't already started?" You ask, setting your book down and picking up Hubert. The owl danced on Black's arm as you smile. 

"I didn't think of that." He replied, watching you twirl the owl in the air. 

"I didn't think you would, Nigellus." You smirk, laying back in your bed. 

"Nigellus?" He looked up at you. 

"I thought that since we're on better terms that I could call you Nigellus. Were not close enough for me to call you Phineas so...why have three names and not use them?" You shrug. Black tried to hide the large smile he was growing from your words. You viewed him differently. You viewed him differently from others! Small fragments from his broken heart were picking to fall back into place. Just a small piece was rebuilt, but it was enough for now. Black reached for your hand, but felt nothing. Your eyes were glassy and clear, startling Black. "I think the trial has begun." You whisper and fade away. Black fell to the floor as he appeared in his office. Sitting in the student chair was Cornelius and the previous headmaster of Hogwarts. Black hadn't cared for his teaching style and so he forgot about him. Maybe that's why this felt so vague. 

"Cornelius." The Headmaster said, "We're concerned by what your friend, Violet has told us." 

"There is nothing to be concerned about, Headmaster." Cornelius reassured, keeping his voice calm.

"I wish that was true, but based off what Violet and now even Professor Black has said than I think we have a problem. The way that you wish to use your magic is very irresponsible" The Headmaster turned in the direction of Black and his eyes went wide. "Speak of the devil. Black! Get off the floor and sit next to this young man." He could see him? Black nervously got to his feet and pulled up a chair next to Cornelius. "You're looking older today, Black." 

"Thank you?" 

"Headmaster. Why does he have to be here?" Cornelius ignored Black. "There is not reason, sir for him to be--" 

"Silence. I brought Black here to duel you." The Headmaster's cool look turned into a menacing grin. "Cornelius vs Phineas. What a challenge, don't you agree?" Black looked taken aback as Cornelius pulled out his wand. 

"I've waited a long time for this." He began to laugh hysterically. 

"I wish Y/N was here." He whispered, gripping his own wand. As if his prayers had been answered, he blinked and he was in the hospital wing. He was lying on a bed with something soft in-between his arms. It was Hubert...but how? "Merlin's beard..." He said, but it didn't sound like himself. He couldn't be--

"Nigellus, what the hell!" You snapped as the words left your mouth...and his? His hand flicked back and forth as if he was casting a spell. Did him and you switch bodies? More like inhabiting two bodies together and then yelling at each other. 

"I don't know what is happening..." Black freaked out. He. Was. A. Girl. "This doesn't feel right..." 

"You can say that again." You hiss, flicking your wrist harder. "I'm fighting Cornelius right now while you get to sit in bed!" 

"I didn't mean for this to happen! I just wished you were here and now we're both here!" Black tried to blink over and over to see if he would appear in that room again. Suddenly his (your?) body jerked to the side and then to the other. Unfamiliar hair and other parts brushed him. This was so strange and he wanted it to end. "I want to go back!" He pleaded but his prayers were not answered this time. 

"Nigellus!" Y/N roared as their bodies were pinned onto their backs. "Figure out how to reverse this already!" 

"I tried!" He shouted back as he heard foot steps coming down the hall. "Try to shut up! There's someone coming!" He forced their body to lean over into a sleeping position. Their wrist still flicked and he had to hold it with the opposite hand. 

"I heard her screaming, but she looks alright. Must have been a dream, Professor Weasley." The nurse said, turning to leave. Weasley stood over them for a moment, watching them curiously. Black tried his best not to suddenly jolt, but it was starting to become difficult as you struggled to fight Cornelius. Finally, Weasley left and Black could stop fighting and let you destroy Cornelius. It hurt as he hit the side of the nightstand. You were going to feel that once you got your body fully back. 

"Nigellus!" You scream, feeling the bump he just caused. 

"Sorry!" He shouted back, staring down the entrance to the wing. "Are you almost done!?" 

"Hopefully soon!" You jolt around some more. Black tries everything his power to keep from distracting you, but it becomes more and more difficult. "He's almost dead, Nigellus!" 

"Good!" Black marinated in his name. He sense of comfort came from it...even if he wasn't used to it.  Suddenly the body went limb and Black couldn't move. He could feel his body distantly, but not close enough to be sure he was even right. He felt you were nearby. Like you both were connected for a few moments. Pain hit him like an arrow to a deer as he felt a deep sorrow. It's something he knew but not in the way that he felt it come from you. You felt sorrow for something and now he knew about it. What was he supposed to do? He wanted you to be safe and protected but why? Why did you change him? Why? His beliefs and love...all changed due to you...had he changed you like you had changed him? 

"Black?" Fig asked, staring down at him on the floor. He was himself again. "Are you okay?" 

"For now. I have someone I need to talk to first." He said, sitting up and brushing off his clothes. "Someone very important." He whispered, knowing the third trial was done. What were they supposed to learn from that? That was something he would never known until later when he considered everything in retrospective. For now he didn't much care until he knew how to help Y/N's deepest sorrow...which was everything.