The Guide

"Natsai writes: Get well soon, Y/N. Don't let Black read all of your cards out loud because you deserve your privacy. P.S. Black, if you read this out loud, shut up and be a headmaster!" Black read to you who laughed. "I think it's a little late, Miss Onai." He smirked. You laid on the hospital bed covered in letters from students who were wishing you well. Black sat by your bed, reading every letter that came your way. 

"Like you were ever a headmaster..." You whisper, hoping Black didn't hear...of course he did. 

"You're lucky that I decently like you now. That comment would have had you expelled." He commanded, making you snicker more. While you expected Black to glare at you, all he did was laugh to himself. "Alright, the next one is from Ominis." Black unfolded the letter and cleared his throat dramatically. "Ominis writes: I hope that Black isn't causing you to become more sick from merely existing around you. Get better soon." 

"Everyone's taking jabs at you." You frown. Black shrugged, neatly placing the letter with the others. 

"I'm used to it at this point." He muttered, reaching for the next. Grabbing his arm, you stop him. 

"That's enough for now." You say, resting back in your bed. Black gave a small blush as you turned over to rest. 

"I'll be outside." He whispered, grabbing the letters off the bed and walking out of the room. You laid in bed, thinking about everything Cornelius had done. What were you supposed to do now that your house was frozen? It was a miracle that you had even survived, but considering how sick it made you feel...you didn't know what to do. Cornelius' guide sat on the bedside table. You fought the urge to grab it and open it, but you wanted Black to be there to read it with you. Also, considering how last time you got stuck in some sort of zombie curse while you were reading it. You kind of wanted someone else with you. Just in case...You had to be honest with yourself...you hadn't expected Black to care so much about saving you. He was desperate and terrified, which was not something he ever did. Maybe he was starting to warm up to you...but even that didn't feel right. What was the feeling? It was something that you had never experienced before. At least...you had never acknowledged it before. Suddenly, Black burst back through the door with a letter in his hands. He rushed over and practically threw it into your lap. You starred at him confused before you saw who the letter was from. 

"Cornelius..." You whisper, turning to Black.

"Skylight flew by with it." He replied, pacing by your bed. You spread the letter out and read it aloud for Black to hear. 

"Dear Miss Y/N (and hopefully Black), I haven't seen you in awhile. I mean in person. I'm sure you've gotten very comfortable with me in those trials of yours. I'm glad you made it out of the Ravenclaw common room while you had the chance. I know that I would have swept it clean by now, looking for you...and my guide book that you stole. You know it's not right to do, don't you? I thought you knew better. Anyways, I'm so pleased at what you've accomplished Black. Losing a wife and earning yourself a student! What a great trade off if I do say so myself. In all your panic, you even were able to solidify yourself as the fool you are! I can't wait to come and kill your little girlfriend. Then again...I can't do that quite yet...I have a deal with someone. You made your trade Black and now I will make mine. If you hand over Y/N then I will call off the two men I have recruited to bring me your head. As simple as that. You can comply in the next trial. Well, I'm absolutely famished! Goodbye, Black...oh and you too Miss Y/N." You finished reading the letter. You looked at Black with fear. Was he going to comply and leave you to Cornelius? He wouldn't go that far. 

"Ominis." Black hissed, snatching the letter form you. "I should have known!" 

"Woah, woah. How do we know it's Ominis?" You ask, grabbing Black's sleeve. He looked flustered before responding. 

"He's been acting strange recently..." Black whispered, peering at the door to the hospital wing. 

"You're crazy." You reply, releasing his arm. Black rubbed the spot you had gripped his sleeve. 

"Then who could he be talking about?" He asked, glaring at you. There was the Black you remembered. You had to admit that somethings were off after getting out of the cursed room. Things were mixed around and messed up. You couldn't remember the feeling...

"I don't know..." You trail off, starring at the bed sheets. Black notices your strange behavior. 

"That's not the response I'm used to do." He sat on the foot of the bed, looking over your face. 

"What did you expect?" You ask, shifting under the covers. 

"I expected you to say something like, 'Who else!? Literally any other wizard who's ever existed!' or something like that." He laughed a little at his own comment. You smiled, feeling as if a part of you was regaining itself. You didn't feel completely lost, like a memory wipe. It just felt weak. Terribly weak and all that could fix could be a few words. Black's words.

"I'll remember that for next time." You smirk. You then remembered something. Reaching for the book, Black's eyes widen. 

"The field guide?" He asked as you opened it. Flipping through the pages you tried to find something that incriminate Cornelius further. "What spell is that?" Black asked, pointing to a paragraph that Cornelius wrote. 

"The Marionette Curse." You read and Black's expression turned dark. 

"Curse? It's not a charm? I've never seen a curse written like this. Nonetheless a curse that has been used on you." Black took the guide and looked at the strange writing. The curse was formatted like any basic spell which was strange for the time. 

"Are curses just charms?" You ask, not understanding his urgency. 

"Curses are the opposite of charms. That's why it should be written differently. I wonder if Cornelius wrote it this way just so no one would suspect he is writing a curse. Read this!" Black pointed to a block of text below the curse. 

"The Marionette Curse can be healed only by the person who is set free from a group of people. To begin the process of setting someone free they must have the power of ancient magic..." You trail off. 

"That's why no one has survived to set anyone free. Only you and Cornelius have ancient magic!" Black exclaimed with a frown. "That's just despicable." 

"That's surprising coming from you." You smirk. 

"There's the Y/N I remember." He laughed, "We have some work to do it seems. We have to complete the next trial and talk to Fig. Let's hope we don't run into Cornelius..." 

"I don't know if I can complete the trial in my state. I was wondering if you could do it on your own?" You ask, nervously. "I'll look for more answers in the guide in the mean time." Black gulped with fear. He didn't know if he could complete a trial without you. 

"Uh, sure." He frowned, but you didn't seem to notice. 

"Great then. Let's get to work!" You say, excitedly. Black was so happy you were back. He actually thought he was going to lose you...