Chapter III

"I have absolutely no idea how to ride a horse!" Violet said to Gandalf as he brought her over to a beautiful black stallion.

"Oh, it's easy, Violet," Gandalf said to the frightened girl, "You love magical creatures, what is so different about a horse?"

"Emphasis on the magical part, my friend," the girl replied, looking warily at the animal. He neighed, and her eyes went wide as she moved her head backwards. "Besides, it's more to do with the fact that we don't know each other. I'm not truly scared of him; I just don't know him."

"Well, you will have to become acquainted with him. He is your only means of transportation for the entire journey."

She sighed as Gandalf walked off and looked back at the horse. He didn't look any more thrilled about the prospect of her than she was of him, but he was a smart horse and knew his duty to her. Zoning out about what to do with the horse, she didn't notice Fili and Kili pop up on either side of her waist. When they both poked her side and said hello, it was a wonder she didn't land on her horse by how high she jumped.

"Blimey!" she yelled, looking at the two brothers, "Did you have to almost restart my heart? You two are far too much like Fred and George."

"Blimey?" Fili questioned.

"Fred and George?" Kili questioned.

"It's a British expression of surprise, Fili, and Kili, they were," --she paused for a moment-- "no, are twin brothers from my home. I've known them since I was eleven. Even dated Fred until-- well that doesn't matter." She cleared her throat awkwardly. "They were jokesters and very mischievous, much like you two seem to be."

The two young dwarves showed her how to mount her horse, and even got the two acquainted with each other. Violet kept looking for Bilbo to show up, but he never did. As they rode away from The Shire, she sat tensed atop the horse, and he was a little tense too, but at least they were being tense together and not against each other.

They had just passed the borders of The Shire when the voice of Bilbo Baggins came calling for them to stop. Violet tugged on the reins of her horse, and didn't bother attempting to turn him, instead just twisting her body just in time to see Bilbo run up to their company.

"I signed it!" Bilbo said, holding the contract in the air, the wind causing it to flap back and forth. With a smile, he handed it to Balin, who looked it over through an eyepiece, glancing at Bilbo.

"Everything appears to be in order," Balin said, "Welcome, Master Baggins, to the company of Thorin Oakenshield."

Bilbo looked absolutely amazed, but that look quickly turned to horror when Thorin said, "Get him a pony."

The soon to be King under the Mountain ignored the hobbit, turning his pony back around, as Bilbo said, "No, no. No, that won't be necessary. Thank you, I'm sure I can keep up on foot." The company started moving again, paying no attention to Bilbo's reluctance to the ponies. "I--I've done my fair share of walking holidays, you know? Even got as far as Frogmorton once."

Fili and Kili both grabbed Bilbo by one of his backpack straps, lifting him off the ground and setting him on the back of the pony. As they continued onward, Gandalf left her side to ride with Bilbo, but Violet continued riding on beside Thorin. They rode in silence while the company behind them exchanged coins on the bets they wagered, and while it wasn't uncomfortable, the woman still felt the need to break it.

"Do you know the muffin man?" she questioned Thorin, turning her head to look at him. He gave her a look that told her he had absolutely zero clue what she was talking about, but she still hoped he would say the exact words she was looking for. And, man, did he not disappoint.