Chapter XXVII

Travelling had only exacerbated the need for sleep tea. Three days had passed since they left, and she was up to four cups of it at night. Something was niggling in her mind, desperately trying to escape the box she was keeping locked tight. She wished it was physically possible to actually lock that box and still throw away the key. Even though she journaled her feelings, her mind refused to cooperate, insisting on continuing to push the mental torture it wanted to inflict.

The dark circles were prevalent under her eyes. She never thought she would be in a relationship where the couples decided to be matching, and she really never thought dark circles would've been what they matched with. Thranduil's seemed to be improving just ever so slightly, a sign to his improving mental state.

But the traveling would be temporarily over soon, for she could see Erebor clearer than ever. In the next five minutes, they would finish passing through Dale, and arrive on the front doorstep of the Mountain. She would be happy once they'd settled in for the night. Seven days were left before the orcs would arrive and there was way too much to do. She needed to make sure Thorin and Co. were okay, to speak with Gandalf regarding a certain pesky dragon, and to do some last-minute preparations with the wizards for it.

It was a good thing they had pushed themselves with travelling the day before because it meant they arrived here mid-afternoon. The sun was shining brightly, but the air was brisk. Winter was fully upon them now. Flufflepuff was tucked tightly into her cloak pocket, both keeping warm with a warming charm.

They crossed the bridge from Dale to Erebor and Violet moved off to the side to ensure everyone passed over safely. Thranduil came beside her to do the same.

She rubbed her hand over her eyes. "I know that I'm probably tired and don't have the elven senses to know this, but the elves from Rivendell and Lothlorien are here, right?"

He smiled gently. "They are here. We are being watched by one of their scouts now on the eastern ridge." He narrowed his eyes slightly. "Are you sleeping well?"

"Thran, I haven't slept well in weeks. I'm just tired now because I'm a human and travelling is tiring for us." He said nothing more, but continued looking at her, chewing on the inside of his lip. "I'll be okay."

"Just... promise me you will rest at the first opportunity you get?"

"I'll be able to rest all I want when these orcs are dead."

-

Who knew it took such a long time to move ten-thousand soldiers over such a narrow bridge? It's almost as if Dale wasn't meant to be a city for a quick getaway!

The elves of Rivendell and Lothlorien had camped on the eastern ridge, expertly tucked away near the edge of the Lonely Mountain in the valleys of the rolling hills behind it. The relatively small camp of six thousand was almost tripled with their inclusion and would triple once the army of Dain Ironfoot arrived.

The elves immediately set to work, not seeming to have lost any stamina during the long trip. Tents were being set up all around: ones for resting and food closer to the middle and medical tents closer to the edge; the woodland elves, used to resting in tents during their patrols, expertly set them up with a quickness and ease that Violet knew she did not have.

Having magic was lucky for her; otherwise, the tent would probably collapse on her in the middle of the night. And how sad was that? Dying not via orcs, but because she couldn't pitch a tent properly.

"Lady Violet!" a voice called. She turned around, searching for the source, eyes landing on a platinum blond ellon who wasn't one of her two. Covered in fine armor and a red cape, Haldir's face was ever so serious as he bowed lightly in front of her.