Chapter XXVI

One of the things Violet never had to deal with when she commanded an army the first time was the actual moving of said army from one place to another. Everyone just so happened to be in the right spot at that time. Commanding elves were different. Violet looked to Authanar then Thranduil. She began to speak to Authanar, but a slight jerk of his head told her she needed to talk to Thranduil.

With a slight huff, she turned to face him and said, "My lord, are your elves ready to march?"

"Not until you have your armour on, my lady," he replied, the sarcasm in his voice blending far too well with the well-practiced professionalism.

She tilted her head and raised a brow. "I don't have any armour."

"Go check in your chambers. Now," he ordered. Without another word, she apparated away, landing at the foot of her bed. Barely any words for weeks and he thinks he can just order her around? Well, he couldn't, and he was lucky she didn't tell him to take his gift and shove it.

She grit her teeth as she practically tore the lid off of the box that held a brand new set of armour. When he found the time to have it made, she didn't know, and she guessed that little trick of his where he knows sizes by looking at someone came in handy. She admired the metal, running her fingers over it. Okay, maybe she was thinking too harshly of him before.

Her bedroom door opened swiftly, and she heard the sound of it clicking shut. She turned around, and there was the man of the hour himself. Except, he didn't look happy.

"What was that?" he asked, clenching his jaw as he pointed in the general direction of where they were before. Never mind. She wasn't being harsh enough, evidently.

"What was what?"

"Do not feign ignorance, Violet."

She stayed silent for a moment, contemplating her next words. Slowly and deathly calm, she said, "You haven't spoken to me for two weeks -- which, yes, I understand why -- but you don't and then you think you can just order me around and give me gifts?"

"It was meant to be a romantic gesture. You love when I surprise you with gifts."

"Not when we haven't been speaking!"

"What is so different this time?"

"It makes me feel cheap, Thranduil! It's one thing to spoil your girlfriend; it's another thing to send gifts when we aren't speaking."

"Did you truly think I of all people would allow you to walk onto a battlefield without proper armour? That I would clothe myself in the finest armour to ensure no harm comes to myself, but that I would not for the woman I l--" He stopped himself, taking a deep breath. Her own breath hitched, and despite the argument they were having, she hoped he would say it.

Say it, she begged internally. Say you love me.

He cleared his throat. "I'll meet you in the hallway."

He left then, closing the door softly behind him. She sighed, rubbing her hand across her face.

Not sure this is what Authanar had in mind, she thought mockingly, 'You and my brother need to learn to speak again'. Yeah, that's pretty clear.

She scoffed. Pulling out the chest plate, she took a moment to admire the small details in it. It was clearly designed by Thranduil, with the ornate filigree that surrounded it. She placed it on and tried to buckle it together and tighten it, but it wouldn't work. Granted, she didn't exactly know what she was doing. She had never worn armour before in her life, and she hadn't intended to wear it this time, no matter how stupid that was.