Chapter XXI

TRIGGER WARNING: THIS CHAPTER CONTAINS THEMES SUCH AS GUILT, GRIEF, SLIGHT THOUGHTS OF DEATH, AND THE PHYSICAL TOLL THESE CAN TAKE ON THE BODY. PANIC ATTACKS ARE EXPLORED AS WELL.

PLEASE, IF YOU ARE STRUGGLING WITH ANY OF THESE THINGS, REACH OUT TO SOMEBODY. ANYBODY.

IN THE U.S. YOU CAN CALL THE ANXIETY HOTLINE AT (866) 903-3787.

FOR THOUGHTS OF DEATH, IN THE US YOU CAN TEXT OR CALL THE NUMBER 988, AND IT WILL AUTOMATICALLY ROUTE YOU TO THE HOTLINE.

BOTH OF THESE ARE 24/7 NUMBERS.

-

Thranduil felt guilty and it was no secret anymore as to why.

Legolas hated him. And with that hatred, his most grievous sins were laid out before his beloved's family, dwarves, Lord Elrond, and Lady Galadriel.

His son hadn't talked to him in two and a half weeks, and Thranduil no longer believed that battle was the best for the future. How was he supposed to? Azog was dead, but his son's well-being shouldn't have been the price. Legolas deserved to learn of his mother's fate from him, not from anyone else.

Hatred burned into his very soul, testing his fae in ways it hadn't been in a long time. The truth about the demise of Esselyth had swarmed the kingdom like wildfire. And now the weight of eyes felt heavier than they ever had, like the sheer power of them could force him into Mandos' Halls.

He had thought about that multiple times in the last two weeks: going to Mandos' Halls and begging Esselyth to return to their son in the Undying Lands.

He couldn't do it.

Call him a coward, but he could not bring himself to hurt another person in his attempts to heal another. If his plan succeeded, there would never be a future for him and Violet. An elf could never have two living spouses.

Maybe that made him selfish instead of a coward.

Because should not his son come first, even before his own happiness?

If that was true, then Thranduil knew that he was doomed. He loved her. With his entire soul and every breath in his body, he loved her. She was the last thing he saw before he entered his dreamlands every night and the first thing he saw every morning when he exited them. She was the light in his life, guiding and teaching him with every move she made.

He was a wise immortal, yet Violet had taught him to look past his own pride and stubbornness. She had taught him that love and companionship was possible once more.

These were the thoughts that plagued his mind that day. Final preparations were being made for The Feast of Starlight, which was set to begin in six hours. Thranduil rubbed his eyes with the palms of his hands and knew that a presence had stepped beside him. The ellon didn't bother to look, instead opting to cross his arms and continue to watch everything.

It wasn't Legolas or Violet, and he wasn't in the mood.

The presence stayed. Thranduil side-eyed the new being, who in turn was looking at him already. Gray-blue eyes stared at him, followed by a heavy-set brow. Elrond pursed his lips when Thranduil turned his eyes back to the front.

"How are you?"

"I do not believe my well-being is your business, Elrond," Thranduil said.

"It becomes my business when your fae begins to affect you physically," Elrond said, leaning in closer to whisper, "Your eyes have bags when they shouldn't. Your cheeks are beginning to sink in when they shouldn't. Make your peace with this. Legolas needs you well and healthy now more than ever."