Chapter XX

The day of the battle had come to pass. In those four days since the date was set, the plans had been detailed out more. Bombur had come up with the idea for the dwarves to exit first, pretending to leave to march on Erebor. Before the orcs have time to realize The Company is missing two people, Gandalf and Bilbo, the elves and Violet would swoop out and attack them.

It was not a fool-proof plan, but it was one they had hoped would truly work.

"Do you think everything will be alright today?" she asked, looking up at the mirror and Thranduil through it. Her face was slightly scrunched, as if she wasn't aware that she was doing it. Flufflepuff was sleeping in her lap, snoring lightly. Nîdhel was behind her, fixing her hair in a more appropriate manner. Three braids came around to the back of her head, with everything ending in one large braid, thick enough where it wouldn't swing around her shoulder every time she moved.

"I have a good feeling. This day will be well for the future, and that I believe," Thranduil said, "You needn't worry."

She smiled, closing her eyes for a moment. "I'll try not to. Just, today has to go perfectly."

"Stop overthinking it."

"I'll try."

"You were confident in this plan two days ago."

"Yes, and then last night I began doubting it," she said, looking at him once more, "Today, I am fully convinced my actions will be the end of mankind as we know it."

He got off the bed, walking towards her slowly. "It will not be the end of mankind as we know it. And no, it doesn't need to go perfectly." He reached her, bent down, and placed a kiss on her head. "It just needs to send a message to Sauron that the Mirkwood elves and the descendants of the line of Durin are allies. Anything that happens afterwards is just a happy inclusion."

"Anything that happens afterwards is just a happy inclusion," Violet repeated, nodding.

"'Tis just first battle nerves, my darling," Thranduil said, "Keep repeating that to yourself until you begin to believe it."

And she did. She repeated it all throughout putting on her leather tunic, leggings, and boots, all through putting bracers on her arms. She repeated it all through attaching her sword and her wand, all through delivering Flufflepuff to her brother to watch, and even most of the way to their meeting point within the palace.

But, by the time she arrived, the repeating ceased, and her head was held high. Everyone was there, waiting, watching as she walked in. She took her spot at the front, Thranduil on her right side and Thorin on her left. She looked out to the crowd of many elves and few dwarves.

"On the other side of this wall," she called, "is a threat that will do anything to destroy the world as you know it! Their master resides in Dol Guldur, and I'll wager a few of you remember seeing him before. Before we leave today, these orcs will know what it's like to fear! All of you today have some story with these vile creatures. Perhaps you have lost your home, or perhaps you've lost a family member or two, or perhaps you're bound by duty to your king. Regardless of what your story is, you walk out those doors and you fight to the death to ensure your world will remain as it should be."

The dwarves were the first to let out cheers. The elves followed not long after and Violet knew that Thranduil was right. Today would be good for the future.

-

The elves and Violet all crept quietly through the forest, staying to their respective hiding spots and waiting for the dwarves to be attacked. The dwarves acted as if nothing was amiss, watching as carefully as would be normal for stepping out into the open field. When the first orc attacked, Violet held the elves back for twenty seconds and with a war cry, signaled them to attack. They all jumped out from their hiding spots, attacking the group of orcs from behind.