Chapter XVI

TRIGGER WARNING: nightmares, mentions of death, violence and thoughts of it, mentions of the Potters' childhood, mentions of abuse

The cue that it's about to begin will be obvious.

-

The next days were spent sneaking around, finding the small chances to be alone without anybody finding out. Although Violet and Thranduil both had a suspicion that Gandalf knew, they weren't sure how. What they did know, is that every time they were all gathered in one room, Gandalf would try to have it cleared as quickly as could be.

At least he hadn't started winking at them yet.

Other than that, only Galion and Nîdhel knew. And how were the king and his lady meant to keep it from her lady and his butler? It just simply wasn't possible. The important thing was that the dwarves, Legolas, and Authanar were still in the dark. Violet wasn't accused of favoritism and Thranduil didn't have to deal with disapproving eyes on him all the time. Instead, they could relish in their growing feelings.

And, not that Violet would admit it, sneaking around was kind of fun.

One day they could be open. One day they could walk around, holding onto each other and show affection openly, but for now, it was stolen kisses in Thranduil's study or any time a room was empty, really.

Which was what led them to their current situation. Galion had come to pull Violet from speaking with The Company. She had taken Balin aside not five minutes earlier, trying to see if he understood Thorin's reluctance to sign the contract she had yet to draw up.

Thorin's emotional state was near impossible to understand, even more so for Violet, who could hardly keep up with her own tumultuous emotions. Simple emotions? Super easy to pick up on. Those made Violet seem like an empath. A deep dive like Thorin was on?

Violet was lost, just like she was every time she saw the stoic Galion.

"So, Galion," she said, "How are you?"

Galion pursed his lips. "I'm fine, Lady Violet."

Nothing more was said as he led Violet to what was quickly promising to be total solitude with her ellon. He opened the door, and blushed as he saw Violet kiss Thranduil's cheek in greeting.

"Ah, more wonderful displays of emotion, Galion," she teased. Galion scowled, walking out the door muttering to himself.

"He just called you a nosey tease," Thranduil told her, pulling her into his lap and kissing her shoulder.

Violet gasped, looking at the closed doorway. "I am not nosey!"

Thranduil hummed. "Are you sure?"

"Yes, I'm sure!" Violet said, carefully lifting the Elven-king's crown from his head. They sat in silence for a few minutes, and at some point, Violet reclined fully onto him, almost asleep when she said, "I may like information, but I don't pry to get it."

Thranduil laughed, patting Violet's thigh. "Come on, up. We have very serious business to finish."

-

"Go fish!" Thranduil said, arms resting on his desk. He was sitting in his own chair behind his workstation, with Violet sitting across in the same chair she's used every time she's sat in his study.

"You're lying to me," Violet said, "I swear, I've asked you for almost every card there is and you've said no to every one!"

Thranduil shrugged. "Perhaps you just have not asked me at the right time."

"Perhaps you're lying so you'll win!"

"Do not be angry that I'm beating you at your own game." 

"'Do not be ang--'" Her mocking words were cut off by lips on her own. They pulled apart slightly, kissing one more time, before Thranduil retracted himself across his desk and back into his chair.