Chapter XIX

Violet was sweating, and it was really bothering her. Her hair was in two longer pigtails, and she was now training with different pieces of armor with a metal sword. Thranduil had often commented on how quickly she was picking up the techniques, but they weren't entirely different to wand techniques for war. Swords were more difficult and required more strength. Surprisingly enough, the armor was lightweight and very breathable, but the elves had thousands of years to perfect it, so she was supposed it should have been expected.

"We should tell him." Thranduil grunted, swinging around. Metal on metal clashed throughout the training grounds. Violet gritted her teeth, using every ounce of strength she had to push back against Thranduil's sword.

Through huffs of breath, she said, "Tell who what?"

"Authanar. About us."

"...Okay..." Violet maneuvered behind Thranduil, pointing her sword at his back. "Why?"

Pausing for a moment, Thranduil turned around. "Because for most of the time I knew about my feelings for you, I thought he disapproved of you. Then, the day I confessed to you, I found out it wasn't you and instead something else. And when I came to Rivendell and spoke to Lúthadis, it was like clarity had dawned upon me. He does not approve because he thinks I am committing adultery."

Violet's brows furrowed, and her sword arm dropped down to her side. As she leaned forward ever so slightly, she said, "What?"

It occurred to Violet that she didn't know much about Elven courting customs. Looking around the yard, Thranduil said, "We have been here since dawn--"

"Yes, and now it's mid-afternoon," Violet quipped, lip curling up slightly. Thranduil smiled, amused at her ire.

"So, I suppose we can stop for the day. Follow me." Thranduil turned around, sheathing his sword, and beginning to walk inside the palace. Violet mimicked him, following him as she wiped the sweat from her brow and shook her hand in slight disgust from the sweat. Their short walk brought them to his study, where he ushered the witch inside.

The Elven-king grabbed her hand, leading her over to the windowsill where a large open bench with cushions sat. He shut the curtains and the pair sat opposite each other, and Thranduil played with Violet's fingers as he began to tell her.

"For elves, we practice true monogamy. We marry one person for life and forever, for we know death is not the end for the Eldar. Adultery is unfathomable in our minds, and no elf has ever committed it. However, sometimes things do not go to plan, and you end up with situations like my own, where the death of one spouse does in fact mean the end. Had I known or even suspected Esselyth to be in the Undying Lands, I would have been unwaveringly loyal to her.

But... I know she isn't, as you already know. I am no longer married in my eyes or the eyes of the Valar, and because you are, well, you, I began to fall in love with you. My brother knows none of my situation. He does not know Esselyth's fate, and he does not know the true nature of our relationship, but our feelings are plain to anybody with eyes, my darling. He thinks I am going against my very nature and committing adultery because I am absolutely captivated by you."

Her face melted into a smile, and she leaned forward, pressing her lips against his, but when she pulled back, her expression showed concern. "Legolas must think the same thing then."

A look of pain flashed over the Elven-king's face. "Yes."

"This must be eating you alive! Darling, why have you not told them yet?"

"I did not know how. I still do not really. How do you tell your son he'll never see his mother again?"

"I... don't know," she said, "But I do know that we're in this together, and I'll help you. For now, let's start with Authanar, as a team." Thranduil nodded, and then groaned. "What is it?"