Chapter VI

A week passed in the Woodland Realm with nothing changed. King Thranduil had not called on Violet, nor did she see him. She had spent most of her time with Legolas and Galadriel, as she had been permitted to call her. With as much time as Legolas spent with them, she wondered how he had time to speak with his father.

But then, the prince was sent out on guard duty once more and he wouldn't be back for at least three weeks. Spiders were getting worse and worse, and it was only a matter of time before a guard came back injured or dead. Violet just hoped it wasn't Legolas, nor that it took that to make King Thranduil see reason.

So, now, with her friend gone, she spent her days in the library, devouring whatever books they had in the common tongue. Flufflepuff was in her room, taking a nap. Honestly, she wasn't even certain the king knew he existed. She was browsing the vast shelves when the door opened.

"Is there anything in particular you are looking for?" a voice asked. It made Violet's breath hitch. She turned around and was face to face with a stunning set of blue eyes.

"Your Majesty," she said, bowing her head to him. Fingers came underneath her chin, and tilted her head upwards. King Thranduil shook his head.

"You are my ion's friend," he said, "There is no need to bow to me, or call me Your Majesty. Any friend of my son's is a friend of mine." (son)

"Is that how you say son in Sindarin?" she asked. He nodded. "It's a beautiful language. I wish I could learn it."

He smiled. "Perhaps you will. One day. Now, is there anything in particular you are looking for?" She shook her head. "Well, what do you like to read? War accounts, romance, adventure?"

"All of the above, my lord," she said. He nodded and walked down the vast rows of books. This was a library that reminded her of a muggle cartoon she once saw: Beauty and the Beast.

She followed him, but came to a stop at the end of one of the aisles opposite of one he had walked down. A portrait was hanging on the end caps of an absolutely gorgeous woman. She had long white blonde curly hair that reached just below her bum, blue eyes, and alabaster skin. Her frame was small and based on the painting, she seemed to be about Harry's height. Her lips were full and pink and her nose was slim. She could see Legolas in the woman; they had the same lips and same rounder face.

"My late wife," King Thranduil said. Violet jumped and her heart rate increased in fright. The Elven-king had the audacity to give a small laugh. "Goheno nin." (My apologies.)

"I hope that was an apology," she grumbled, turning back to the painting, "She's beautiful."

"Aye," King Thranduil agreed, "Esselyth had always been fair, ever since we were mere elflings." Violet looked back at the king, seeing a sense of sadness in his eyes. He looked down at her and was shocked to see not pity, but understanding. He cleared his throat and held a book out to her. "Beren and Lúthien. 'Tis one of my favorite romances in here. It tells the beautiful and haunting tale of the elleth Lúthien who fell in love with a mortal man, Beren. Have no fear, it is in Westron."

She took with with gratitude. "How do you say 'thank you' in Sindarin?"

"Ci athae." (Informal Thank you.)

"Well, then ci athae."

"I 'ell nin," He said, "Now, you will have to excuse me, I have a meeting to get back to. Should you be in need of a new book, come to my study. Just stay out of this aisle." (It was my pleasure.)

Without another word, he turned and marched to the wall where there had to be hundreds, if not thousands of scrolls. His nimble fingers moved across them for a minute, before plucking one out of its space and walking away. Violet left the library as well, finding a window sill she could tuck herself into.