Chapter XII

"Belegmorroch!" Violet said, running towards the horse that she left in Gandalf's care. She felt tugs on her hair as Flufflepuff sat on her shoulder, tugging on strands to stay upright. Her horse was bucking around, not enjoying the wood-elves that held his reins.

"You know this horse?" A guard asked. Violet shook her head.

"I'm sorry, I don't speak Sindarin."

A voice spoke from behind her, "He asked if you know the horse."

Violet turned around, seeing the Elven-king standing a few feet away from her, hands clasped behind his back. "Yes. He was a gift from Mithrandir, mainly because we needed some mode of transportation other than walking."

Thranduil mumbled something under his breath that she couldn't hear, but judging by the look on his face, she didn't want to hear either. He looked at one of his guards, who almost looked annoyed that his king had taken so long to translate. "She says yes, he was a gift to her. Let her through, he'll listen to her." Thranduil turned back to Violet, lips pursed. "Go on. Calm your horse."

"Thank you, my lord," she said, giving a mocking smile.

Thranduil snarled, seizing her by the arm. "Do not talk to me in front of my subjects like that."

"Then do not order me around like I am one," she whispered back, harshly.

Thranduil let her go like she had burned him, and perhaps she had. But she wished he hadn't, no matter how much her brain wanted him as far away as possible. She walked up to Belegmorroch, and once he saw her, he calmed down. He had been looking for her ever since Gandalf had set him loose in the forest, trusting the horse knew where to go, just like in Rivendell. Seeing Flufflepuff on her shoulder, he let out a little neigh.

Violet stroked his nose softly, whispering into his ears. She had missed him quite a lot since they parted that fateful day in Imladris. Footsteps were heard behind her, leading further and further out. Violet turned her head around, watching Thranduil walk away from her.

It made her chest hurt, like a rope connecting the two of them was threatening to rip out her chest, letting him walk away from her forever. She turned back around, eyes burning, and rested her forehead against Belegmorroch, letting them close.

It was painfully bad luck that she didn't see Thranduil turn around, watching as she rested her head on the horse, looking at the ground, and then continuing to walk into the palace, feeling his own chest squeeze.

But what she did notice was Legolas walking towards her, a female elf with red hair that reached her thighs trailing behind him.

"Violet!" He called, jogging up to her with a smile on his face. She schooled her features, hoping any redness on her cheeks weren't blotchy and just looked like a healthy glow. Legolas stopped in front of her, pulling his arms around her shoulders tightly in a friendly hug. He kept his left arm around her, pointing at the female elf. "This elleth is Tauriel. I am sure you have heard of her, yes?" -- Violet nodded -- "Tauriel, this is Violet. I know you've heard about her. Oh, and that's Flufflepuff. He's an animal from her world." He leaned forward, whispering loudly to her, "Don't mind the name."

Flufflepuff grumbled loudly at Legolas, making Violet smirk.

"It's nice to meet you, Lady Violet," Tauriel said, bowing her head, "Legolas has told me much about you. Flufflepuff is very cute."

"And I, you," Violet said, "You are Captain of the Guard, yes? King Thranduil has mentioned that you were promoted around five-hundred years ago after the old captain was promoted to the Council."