Chapter V

"Our business is no concern of elves," Thorin said, quite perturbed and angry with the situation at hand. Thorin, Violet, Balin, Bilbo, Lord Elrond, and Gandalf were all standing in the sitting area outside of Elrond's chambers. Flufflepuff was sitting on the woman's neck, watching everyone around him curiously.

"For goodness sake, Thorin! Show him the map," said Gandalf.

"It is the legacy of my people. It is mine to protect, as are its secrets."

"Save me from the stubbornness of dwarves! Your pride will be your downfall. You stand here in the presence of one of the few in Middle-Earth who can read that map. Show it to Lord Elrond!"

Thorin and Lord Elrond stare each other down, and the dwarf king reluctantly dug the map out of his breast pocket. Balin tried to stop him, but Thorin shoved his hand against Balin's chest, having made his decision. He handed it to the elf, who took it gently, to show he means no harm. The dwarves kept a watchful eye over the map as Elrond read it.

"Erebor? What is your interest in this map?" Lord Elrond asked. It seemed as if Violet was wrong earlier, he didn't know. He only knew about her, and her own mission. Foresight was a strange gift, for while it gave you snippets and an idea of what was meant to happen, it didn't give the whole picture.

Even though Lord Elrond was looking at Thorin, it was Gandalf who answered, "It's mainly academic. As you know, this sort of artifact sometimes contains hidden text." The elf turned around, giving Gandalf the chance to look at Thorin. They exchanged a look of understanding and for that, Thorin was grateful. Gandalf spoke again, "You still read ancient dwarvish, do you not?"

"Cirth ithil."

"Moon runes? Of course! An easy thing to miss."

"Well, in this case, that is true," Lord Elrond said, "Moon runes can only be read by the light of a moon of the same shape and season as the day on which they were written."

"Can you read them?" asked Thorin, as the elf turned to face him again. Instead of answering, the elven lord walked onto a rock balcony of sorts, placing the paper onto a large crystalline table. The rest of the group followed, eager to hear what the lord had to say. Waterfalls roared in front, but they were far enough in front that no water splashed onto the deck.

"These runes were written on a late spring's eve, by the light of a crescent moon nearly two hundred years ago. It would seem you were meant to come to Rivendell," Lord Elrond said, facing the dwarf king, "Fate is with you, Thorin Oakenshield. The same moon shines upon us tonight." The moonlight fell upon the map, revealing magical text that came to life. They glowed a beautiful vibrant blue. Everybody stopped and stared at the glory of it. "'Stand by the gray stone when the thrush knocks and the setting sun with the last light of Durin's Day will shine upon the key-hole'."

"Durin's Day?" questioned Bilbo.

Gandalf turned to him. "It is the start of the dwarves' New Year. When the last moon of autumn and the first sun of winter appear in the sky together."

"You have time, but you will need to move faster, Thorin. Averaging the small lengths of distance we've been managing so far will no longer do," Violet said for the first time, "It is not a short ways away, and there's a lot of ground to cover."

"We have to be standing in exactly the right spot, at exactly the right time. Then, and only then, can the door be opened," spoke Balin.

"So, this is your purpose," said Lord Elrond, "To enter the mountain?"

"What of it?" asked Thorin in a harsh tone of voice. The Lord of Rivendell handed the map back to him.

"There are some who would not deem it wise."