Chapter 19

"

"...you and I knew strange corners
Of life"
                               –F. Scott Fitzgerald

⚠️ MENTION OF ABUSE ⚠️

"You didn't protect me Nathan, you failed me"

Lizzie?

"Liz? Liz is that you!?" I holler out her name but only came eerie silence in return.

"You let him go Nathan, I will never forgive you!" her voice boomed in the pitch darkness followed by painful screams that made me drop to my knees and cover my ears.

With a jolt of my body I snap my eyes open. Just a dream..

I look around to find myself in my study. When did I fall asleep?

Last I remember was coming here so I wouldn't wake up Delilah.

Letting out a deep breath I run my hand through my hair before getting up and dragged my feet out of the study. I need to check up on her.

Walking towards my room I slowly turn the doorknob and walk in, just to find her curled up on the bed while her soft cries filled the air.

"Dove?" I speak softly and her entire body shook and she jolts up to look at me, eyes big and frightened.

I hold my hands out to show her that I mean no harm and the panic in her eyes slightly faded away when she looked at me.

"Hey, you're okay" I whisper and took cautious steps near her while her eyes watched my every step carefully.

Seeing her like this just pushed me over the edge to kill that son of a bitch with my own hands.

Taking a seat beside her I wipe the tears staining her face and she let out a shaky breath.

"I'm sorry" she mumble with her bottom lip quivering and I gently hold her face in my palms and she looked at me with tears pooling in her eyes.

She was obviously under heavy sedation and exhausted, what she must be feeling right now is horrible and all I wanted to do was to scare all her monsters away.

"Sshh Dove, everything's okay" I whisper gently caressing her cheek and she closed her eyes slightly leaning into my touch.

"Are you hungry little dove?" I ask but she didn't respond, her eyes were still closed, breathing slowly as if trying to keep calm.

Her stomach growled, giving me the answer to my question and I chuckle to which she crack open her eyes and look at me strangely.

"You laughed" she pointed out in a soft voice and I couldn't help the smile that tugged at the corner of my mouth.

There were many emotions swirling in her eyes, showing me just how vulnerable she was in this exact moment.

"Why don't we get you something to eat, hm?" I ask her softly and she gave me a subtle nod but didn't make a move to get off the bed.