Chapter 23

"If it still makes you cry, it still matters"

Next day.

I slept in a guest room last night, I left her in my room so she could have some privacy because I didn't wanna overwhelm her. Yesterday was a big step for her, she trusted me to keep a sacred part of herself a secret and for someone like her, it was a huge step forward.

And I so desperately wanted to show her that she did not make the wrong choice, that I will guard her secrets with my life, no matter how much it kills me inside, or how much it tempts me to read it so I can protect her with all my might, so I can help her recover, help her walk on the path of happiness, because that's all she deserves, happiness. And I will make sure she gets what she deserves.

Yesterday after leaving her in my room, there were many points where I held myself back from going back in, I could hear her moving around, pacing in the room and I was cussing at myself for not having cameras installed there.

I couldn't sleep all night because I couldn't stop thinking about her and when the dawn broke I went for a jog, hoping that it might divert my thoughts, but it was as useless as anything else, no matter how far I ran, it did not help me when it came to that diary, every fiber of my being was urging me to read what was written in there.
Running a hand through my wet hair I walk out of the bathroom in my trousers and a towel on my shoulders.

I decided not to attend the office till she recovers, Micah has been handling almost every business affair at the moment and I'm thankful for that.

Throwing on a black tee I walk out of the guestroom and walk down the stairs, and that's when my eyes fell on my room, the door was wide open which made me frown.

Walking in my room I found the room pitch dark, the curtains were drawn, the lights were off, the only source of light was coming from the lit bathroom.

Turning the lights on I found the room somewhat...clean.

The bed was made, though it was still messy, there was an effort to fix the sheets but weren't done well, and I knew it wasn't one of the maids.
The way my room looks right now shows that Delilah has been cleaning, or trying to clean to keep herself occupied and distracted. Either from her nightmares or the urge to consume the drugs, or maybe both.

Walking out of my room I walk downstairs. The moment I reached the floor I could hear shuffling in the kitchen so I went towards it.

As I stepped near the kitchen door I found her walking around in the kitchen with a bowl in her hands, she was searching for something.
Deciding not to startle her, I leaned against the door frame and watched her from a distance as she set the bowl on the counter before getting on her tippy toes to search the upper cabinets for what I assume was cereals.