chapter 30

"I didn't change, you just never knew me

"I didn't change, you just never knew me.."

"When is he going to wake up?" Micah asked the doctor while I sat there, holding his cold hands into mine, I kept rubbing them to get some warmth in them.
He was lying there almost lifeless. IV wires going into his arm, a heart machine attached to his chest.
M

icah managed to get him out of his blood soaked clothes before getting him into a loose t-shirt and sweats. His hair was still damp.
"He lost a lot of blood. The more he rests, the sooner he'll recover. Just make sure he doesn't move around a lot or lift something heavy or his stitches will snap. The bullet was 2 inches deep so it'll take him a couple weeks to fully heal but I'll come by next week to get his stitches out" the doctor explained to Micah and with her every word my heart slumped to my stomach, tears welled up in my eyes.
      He's on this bed, unconscious and in pain because of me. He took that bullet for me and risked his life just to buy me another chance at life while not caring to lose his own in the process.

"Thank you for coming on such a short notice Mia. I didn't know a better doctor than you for a situation like this" Micah genuinely thanked her and she gave him a sweet smile.

"It's been so long that I had to rush over to patch him up but it's surely not the first time" she shook her head and Micah cleared his throat and she immediately looked at me, the same warm smile on her face, I couldn't help but frown in confusion. Not the first time?

"Anyways, when he's awake tell him that the kids miss him and that he owes me breakfast at Barney's" she said to Micah in a joking manner. She was clearly close to both of them but this was the least of my concerns right now.
She turned back to me and offered me a warm smile, she seemed to be in her early thirties, very gorgeous and her smile made her look even younger and loveable. Though I couldn't return the gesture, I couldn't even force myself to fake a smile.

"He's going to be okay, he's a tough nut to crack" she reassures me and I give her a subtle nod.

"He's surely to wake up to a migraine and nausea, get him these medicines and he'll feel better in no time" she mumbled while scribbling onto a small notepad and ripped the paper and handed it to Micah before picking up her medical bag.

"I'll drop you home, the rain is still pouring heavy out there" Micah tells her and she gives him a nod before walking out of the room.
I dragged my eyes back on Nathan and held his hand close to my chest. His chest was moving up and down, the heart monitor beeping, telling me that he's okay.

"Delilah you need to change too or you'll catch a cold, you're drenched" Micah tells me but I don't acknowledge him, I can't leave his side. Not when he needs me.
I felt Micah tugging my hands away and forcing me to look at him.

"The doctor gave him sedatives angel, he's going to be knocked out for hours, you can't sit here and wait for him to wake up in this state"

"But what if-"